World Architecture Festival 2012: this slideshow of images features the Plaza Espana, a public square above an underground museum in Tenerife by Menis Arquitectos, which won the award in the new and old category at the World Architecture Festival this week.
The space created by the demolition of an old building in the town of Adeje allowed the architects to create the new square, which also opens up a view of the surrounding Barranco del Infierno, or 'Hell's Gorge' ravine.
Sliced indents help rainwater to naturally drain off the surface of the square, while cracked openings around the concrete sidewalls let light penetrate the museum buried below.
We've now announced winners for all the awards, including World Building of the Year, Future Project of the Year and Landscape of the Year, as well as all the category winners from day one and day two.
Dezeen is media partner for the World Architecture Festival, which took place at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre in Singapore. You can follow all our coverage of the event here, including a series of movies we filmed with programme director Paul Finch.
We're also filming movies with some of the winners, which we'll be featuring on Dezeen very soon.
Photography is by Simona Rota.
- Museu de Foz Coa by Camilo Rebelo and Ti…ago Pimentel
- Faculty of Business Studies of Mondragon… University by Hoz Fontan Arquitectos
- The Timmelsjoch Experience Pass Museum b…y Werner Tscholl
- Colboc Franzen's Parisian social housing… matches the proportions of its 1930s neighbours
- Casa en el Campo by Benjamín Murúa and… Constanza Infante S
- Contemporary Pagoda by Daniel Simmons
- CAP Salt 2 health centre by BAAS Archite…cts
- Spikvoorde II by René van Zuuk Architek…ten
- Movie: Gyre "The Swirl" by MVRDV
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories