Wilson originally exhibited her knitted creatures at the Royal College of Art graduate show almost ten years ago, after which New York gallerist and retailer Murray Moss "latched on to them and bought the collection," she explains.
The knitted tree was created for an exhibition called Endangered Species at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park (below) as a way of "giving the creatures an environment and place to live".
The characters inhabiting the tree include Cyril Squirrel-fox (below) and his offspring Rill and Ralf - read more about the knitted tree and creatures in our previous story here.
In the movie, Wilson speaks about the importance of manufacturing the products in-house at her Bethnal Green studio, just a stone's throw from Stepney Green - see all our stories about Donna Wilson here.
The Stepney Green Design Collection consists of 10 products selected by Marcus Fairs of Dezeen from creatives who live near to VIVO, a new housing development in the east London district. The project also includes objects chosen by east London bloggers Pete Stean of Londoneer and Kate Antoniou of Run Riot.
The collection is on show at the Genesis Cinema, 93-95 Mile End Road, Whitechapel, London E1 4UJ, from 10am to 10pm every day until January. After this, the objects will be given to VIVO residents.
We’ll be publishing movies of all the designers who contributed to the collection over the coming weeks – see all the items they designed for Stepney Green Design Collection here.
- Benjamin Hubert's lightweight Ripple tab…le is now strong enough to stand on
- Fuck You and the Horse You Rode in On by… Kelly McCallum
- Unsustainable by Greetje van Helmond 2
- Studio Drift's Obsidian mirror made from… chemical waste
- Movie: Quiet Motion installation by Rona…n and Erwan Bouroullec
- Market by Noé Duchaufour-Lawrance for P…etite Friture
- Foster + Partners combines the cruising …yacht with the day boat to create Alen 68 vessel
- Upside Down by Floris Wubben
- Jin Kuramoto adds maple furniture to Mat…suso T range
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories