Interieur 2012: Dutch designer Richard Hutten has created a series of sofas and armchairs designed to resemble the icons on a smartphone screen.
Richard Hutten launched the Apps collection for Dutch brand Artifort at the Interieur design biennale in Kortrijk, Belgium, last month. "On the one hand, it is a very simple and therefore timeless design," says Hutten. "On the other hand, it is entirely contemporary thanks to the flowing forms and a basic shape that appears to be based on icons displayed on a smartphone."
The range includes an armchair and two-seater sofa, covered either in a single fabric or two contrasting ones. The seats are made with a wooden frame upholstered in foam and include webbing in the backrest. Prototypes of the Apps collection were first presented in Milan last April and the range is now going into production.
Artifort was founded 120 years ago as an upholstery company in Maastricht. "For me, Artifort is part of our national heritage," says Hutten. "The quality of the designs dating from the 1960s in particular is very high and my ambition is to revive that golden era."
Hutten founded his own design studio in Rotterdam in 1991 after graduating from the Design Academy Eindhoven and was a leading figure in Droog Design at its inception in 1993. Past projects featured on Dezeen include traditional oriental rug patterns stretched into stripes and leaf-shaped fridge magnets. See all our stories about design by Richard Hutten.
Interieur 2012 took place from 20 to 28 October and highlights included Troika's arcade of light beams bent into gothic arches and Ross Lovegrove's car shaped by instinct rather than science. See all our stories about design at Interieur 2012.
- "We take a very holistic approach to d…esign" - Bandar Antabi of Jawbone
- Overlapping "petals" surround Mario Al…essiani's Bloemi lamp
- New products by Conof.
- Today at Dezeen Platform: Thomas Feich…tner
- Crumpled City by Palomar at The Tempor…ium
- Blond and Bieber's dyes made from alga…e "don't harm nature at all"
- Barkow Leibinger chose "strong and ela…stic" cotton for tensile installation in Marrakech
- Design Miami 2007 catalogue
- Multi-sensorial Gastronomy by Philips …Design
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories