Bleachers climb over the roof of this timber-clad community centre in France by Ateliers O-S Architectes (+ slideshow).
Located in the town of Nevers, central France, the two-storey centre was designed by Ateliers O-S Architectes with tiny square windows and a courtyard at its centre.
The architects conceived the bleachers at the front of the building as a tiered public square that can be used for events, games, or simply as a picnicking spot for local residents, "like an agora overlooking the neighbourhood," they explain, referencing the ancient Greek name for an assembly place.
"The strategic position of the cultural centre and the program led us to design a compact and generous project, as an extension of the public space enhancing the identity and image of the neighbourhood," they added.
Visitors to the building enter through a double-height atrium, which leads through to a 220-seat auditorium on the ground floor.
Other facilites on this floor include a creche and a series of event rooms, while a dance hall and meeting rooms occupy the first floor.
Glazed walls surround the central courtyard on two sides to bring natural light into the ground floor corridors, while a private first-floor balcony overlooks the space from above.
Behind the timber cladding, the building has walls of concrete but the architects concealed them to "create a friendly environment".
Photography is by Cecile Septet.
Above: ground floor plan - click above for larger image
Above: site plan - click above for larger image
Above: concept diagram 1
Above: concept diagram 2
Above: concept diagram 3
Above: concept diagram 4
Above: concept diagram 5
Above: concept diagram 6
- Cassa Hotel by Enrique Norten and TEN Ar…quitectos
- Norwegian mountain hut is entered throug…h a curving wooden orifice
- Shenzhen Stock Exchange by OMA
- Modern Art gallery takes over three Lond…on warehouses opposite a Hawksmoor church
- Housing in La Courrouze by Philippe Gaze…au
- Les Lauréades by Lanoire & Courrian
- Alte Schule Winterbach by Archifaktur
- Pedestrian Crossing by Atelier 9.81
- Jewish Community Centre Mainz by Manuel …Herz Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories