This forest-like beauty salon in Osaka has birch trees wedged between the floor and ceiling (+ slideshow).
Named Onico, the hair and nail salon was designed by Japanese architect Ryo Isobe.
The architect imagined the space as a woodland filled with antique objects and other curiosities, including a stuffed owl.
"Our client likes DIY and he makes many objects and furniture by himself," said Isobe. "So we made the space as if it is a treasure hunt in the woods."
Birch trees are dotted around the space, amongst a styling area containing assorted chairs and mirrors.
A mixture of lanterns, chandeliers and bare light bulbs are suspended from the ceiling, while fairy lights are strung up beside a cluster of artificial ivy in the room behind.
Other details include a decorative balustrade, empty picture frames and a golden dresser.
- Illoiha Omotesando climbing wall by Nend…o
- Milan exhibition invites visitors to exp…lore the homes of Ban, Hadid and Libeskind
- Lawyers’ office by PSA
- Ace Hotel Shoreditch by Universal Design… Studio
- Bela Cintra 1235 by Triptyque
- "We created an interior by copying and p…asting a single product" - Nendo's Oki Sato
- SUPPA Sneaker Boutique by Daniele Lucian…o Ferrazzano
- Inside awards: Paul Priestman on hotel d…esign
- Jaffa\Tel Aviv Restaurant by Baranowitz …Kronenberg Architecture
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories