This forest-like beauty salon in Osaka has birch trees wedged between the floor and ceiling (+ slideshow).
Named Onico, the hair and nail salon was designed by Japanese architect Ryo Isobe.
The architect imagined the space as a woodland filled with antique objects and other curiosities, including a stuffed owl.
"Our client likes DIY and he makes many objects and furniture by himself," said Isobe. "So we made the space as if it is a treasure hunt in the woods."
Birch trees are dotted around the space, amongst a styling area containing assorted chairs and mirrors.
A mixture of lanterns, chandeliers and bare light bulbs are suspended from the ceiling, while fairy lights are strung up beside a cluster of artificial ivy in the room behind.
Other details include a decorative balustrade, empty picture frames and a golden dresser.
- Arrojadoa by Jaime Hayón
- Ace Hotel Shoreditch by Universal Design… Studio
- Red Bull Music Academy by Langarita-Nava…rro Arquitectos
- An Urban Refuge by Sergi Pons
- Naoto Fukasawa at IMM Cologne
- Nike UK Headquarters redesign by Rosie L…ee
- ODDA's multifunctional modules combine b…edrooms, kitchens and bathrooms in one unit
- Frank Lloyd Wright: From Within Outward …at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- Henry Wilson Studio converts former bake…ry into Sydney Aesop store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories