This forest-like beauty salon in Osaka has birch trees wedged between the floor and ceiling (+ slideshow).
Named Onico, the hair and nail salon was designed by Japanese architect Ryo Isobe.
The architect imagined the space as a woodland filled with antique objects and other curiosities, including a stuffed owl.
"Our client likes DIY and he makes many objects and furniture by himself," said Isobe. "So we made the space as if it is a treasure hunt in the woods."
Birch trees are dotted around the space, amongst a styling area containing assorted chairs and mirrors.
A mixture of lanterns, chandeliers and bare light bulbs are suspended from the ceiling, while fairy lights are strung up beside a cluster of artificial ivy in the room behind.
Other details include a decorative balustrade, empty picture frames and a golden dresser.
- Private Residence by Garcia Tamjidi
- Studio Nuctale by Paul Coudamy
- Bouncing on Top of the World by Checkini…t
- Jerry House by Onion is built around an …indoor playground
- Stella K Showroom by Pascal Grasso Archi…tectures
- Glore Store by Markmus and Neoos Design
- Doehler loft renovation by SABO Project …features an irregular clustered storage unit
- The Fudge Pop-Up Salon by Zaha Hadid
- Wonderwall’s Bape Kids opens in Tokyo
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories