Dutch fashion designer Iris van Herpen will create a dress modelled on splashing water during a live week-long broadcast for fashion film website SHOWstudio next month (+ movie).
Photographer Nick Knight will use high speed cameras to capture black and clear water thrown at actress Daphne Guinness, then Iris van Herpen will use the imagery to produce a one-off couture piece that will resemble flowing water.
Above and top: images from Iris van Herpen's Crystallisation Spring Summer 2011 collection by Bart Oomes
The project will build on the concept of liquid clothing that van Herpen showed in her Crystallisation collection at London Fashion Week in 2010. How the dress will be created and what it will made of will be revealed during the transmission.
"The water-dress symbolises for me the incomprehensible magic of the body," says van Herpen. "I often wonder if we will keep on wearing fabrics in future, or if dressing will become something non-material, something that is visible, but not tangible or touchable."
Above: image from Iris van Herpen's Crystallisation Spring Summer 2011 collection by Bart Oomes
SHOWstudio is to stream the project live between 3 and 9 April, which will culminate in Knight shooting Guinness in the completed outfit.
Above: visualisation of Iris van Herpen's new water dress on Daphne Guinness by Roland Didier
- Share by Thomas Bernstrand for Nola
- Tiny devices replicate human organs to p…rovide an alternative drug-testing method
- More from Stockholm Furniture Fair
- Biennale Interieur "gives chances to a n…ew generation of designers"
- Workaholic by THINKK Studio
- Disposable canvas layers rejuvenate Mode…l 1 shoes by Lou Moria
- BBCX365 by Johnny Selman
- Per Kristian Nygård crams a grassy vall…ey into an Oslo gallery
- Jasper Morrison curates exhibition chron…icling 80 years of Molteni design collaborations
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories