Dutch fashion designer Iris van Herpen will create a dress modelled on splashing water during a live week-long broadcast for fashion film website SHOWstudio next month (+ movie).
Photographer Nick Knight will use high speed cameras to capture black and clear water thrown at actress Daphne Guinness, then Iris van Herpen will use the imagery to produce a one-off couture piece that will resemble flowing water.
Above and top: images from Iris van Herpen's Crystallisation Spring Summer 2011 collection by Bart Oomes
The project will build on the concept of liquid clothing that van Herpen showed in her Crystallisation collection at London Fashion Week in 2010. How the dress will be created and what it will made of will be revealed during the transmission.
"The water-dress symbolises for me the incomprehensible magic of the body," says van Herpen. "I often wonder if we will keep on wearing fabrics in future, or if dressing will become something non-material, something that is visible, but not tangible or touchable."
Above: image from Iris van Herpen's Crystallisation Spring Summer 2011 collection by Bart Oomes
SHOWstudio is to stream the project live between 3 and 9 April, which will culminate in Knight shooting Guinness in the completed outfit.
Above: visualisation of Iris van Herpen's new water dress on Daphne Guinness by Roland Didier
- MINI's Citysurfer scooter concept antici…pates a car-less future for urban areas
- Fade chandelier by Zaha Hadid for Swarov…ski
- Lancaster by Michael Young for Emeco
- The Living Points Structure jewellery co…vers limbs in porcupine-like spines
- Design For Every Body curated by Svensk …Form
- Benjamin Hubert exposes timber frames in… Prop furniture collection for Moroso
- TransPlastic by Campana Brothers
- Charline Ronzon-Jaricot designs glass ap…paratus to capture olfactory memories
- Attic by Studio Chad Wright
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories