Milan 2013: British designer Jasper Morrison will present a chair inspired by camping furniture for Italian brand Mattiazzi in Milan next week.
Called Fionda, which means "sling" in Italian, the chair by Jasper Morrison is composed of a folding wooden frame and a loose canvas seat that hooks over the corners and can be removed to enable the chairs to be stacked horizontally.
The chair will be available as a dining chair or a lounge chair and there will also be a matching stackable table.
Other chairs launching at Milan next week include the Scoop chair by Danish designers KiBiSi and these armchairs with wavy backs and seats by Spanish designer Patricia Urquiola.
Here's some more information from Jasper Morrison:
Fionda’s mother is a folding camping chair, which itself comes from a long line of chairs known variously as BKF, Hardoy, Butterfly or Tripolina in Italy, all of which suspend a canvas sling from a frame to create a surprisingly comfortable seat. I bought one of the camping chairs in Japan and liked having it in my living room, but the aluminium X bars at the front and back were uncomfortable and prevented it being a real living room chair, so I decided to make a project out of removing the X’s.
I am attracted to the language of camping and campaign furniture. It’s something about the lightness of structure and required efficiency in achieving something comfortable which fits well in today’s mood. The frame needed a number of steps to perfect the joint but the result is light and strong, and can be stacked horizontally with the covers off.
There are two chair models, a dining chair and a lounge chair, and a table which is also stackable. It’s a chair for using inside or taking outside, for interiors which don’t need so much upholstery, and for the traveller who just got home and needs a rest!
- Marie Cunliffe sculpts metal fabrics for… graduate fashion collection
- Corian Design Studio by Michael Young
- Rock Series by Arik Levy at Design Miami…/Basel
- One Design Office creates aluminium Arki…tube for carrying large-format drawings
- Green Belt underwear by David Adjaye for… PACT
- Aalto University students design chairs …from bright blue plywood
- Gravity candle holder by Jólan van der …Wiel
- Bikers Rest by Marcus Abrahamsson for No…la
- "The architect-midwife should be brillia…nt at listening" - Gurmeet Sian
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories