Milan 2013: designer Dennis Parren has developed a light bulb that casts coloured shadows.
The CMYK bulb by Dennis Parren combines a white main light source with coloured LEDs in red, green and blue to cast shadows in cyan, magenta and yellow.
"It is easier to produce and you find yourself more in [the] mainstream of lighting," says Parren of the new design. "That makes it many times more accessible." He expects the bulb to be priced around €95 when it appears in shops.
The prototype was showcased at Spazio Rossana Orlandi in Milan this month, together with a shade Parren developed especially to complement the bulb.
The faceted Diamond shade is made of matt white polypropylene covered in tiny pin-pricks to scatter coloured dots of light onto surrounding surfaces.
"The shade derived from a previous project, the RGB Galaxy," he says. "I chose this shape because the light sparkles through the little holes like a real diamond."
Other lighting on show at Spazio Rossana Orlandi included a wind-up folding lamp by Nika Zupanc.
- José Collection by Mauricio Arruda
- Dezeen's picks from Sight Unseen Offsite… exhibition in New York
- Insect-infused Jungle Bars are boosted w…ith powdered cricket protein
- Hruska by Martin Zampach
- Whitney Graphic Identity by Experimental… Jetset
- Splinter by Nendo for Conde House
- Moroso "gave me a chance," says designer… Ross Lovegrove
- Scum Light by Jerszy Seymour
- Barbie Dreamhouse by Roksanda Ilincic an…d SHOWstudio
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories