Milan 2013: designer Dennis Parren has developed a light bulb that casts coloured shadows.
The CMYK bulb by Dennis Parren combines a white main light source with coloured LEDs in red, green and blue to cast shadows in cyan, magenta and yellow.
"It is easier to produce and you find yourself more in [the] mainstream of lighting," says Parren of the new design. "That makes it many times more accessible." He expects the bulb to be priced around €95 when it appears in shops.
The prototype was showcased at Spazio Rossana Orlandi in Milan this month, together with a shade Parren developed especially to complement the bulb.
The faceted Diamond shade is made of matt white polypropylene covered in tiny pin-pricks to scatter coloured dots of light onto surrounding surfaces.
"The shade derived from a previous project, the RGB Galaxy," he says. "I chose this shape because the light sparkles through the little holes like a real diamond."
Other lighting on show at Spazio Rossana Orlandi included a wind-up folding lamp by Nika Zupanc.
- Hand-drawn animated music video by Ros…anna Wan for Tom Rosenthal
- Chair by Glass Hill
- 21 Grams is a sex toy that contains th…e ashes of a dead partner
- UNStudio's Hem carpet collection featu…res pixel-like patterns
- The D*Table by The D*Haus Company
- Signterior by A-Asterisk
- WaterDream by Nendo for Axor
- Raw Edges shapes Endgrain wooden furni…ture to reveal colourful patterns
- The Long Drop by Studio Glithero
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories