Milan 2013: designer Dennis Parren has developed a light bulb that casts coloured shadows.
The CMYK bulb by Dennis Parren combines a white main light source with coloured LEDs in red, green and blue to cast shadows in cyan, magenta and yellow.
"It is easier to produce and you find yourself more in [the] mainstream of lighting," says Parren of the new design. "That makes it many times more accessible." He expects the bulb to be priced around €95 when it appears in shops.
The prototype was showcased at Spazio Rossana Orlandi in Milan this month, together with a shade Parren developed especially to complement the bulb.
The faceted Diamond shade is made of matt white polypropylene covered in tiny pin-pricks to scatter coloured dots of light onto surrounding surfaces.
"The shade derived from a previous project, the RGB Galaxy," he says. "I chose this shape because the light sparkles through the little holes like a real diamond."
Other lighting on show at Spazio Rossana Orlandi included a wind-up folding lamp by Nika Zupanc.
- Blue Diversion Toilet aims to improve sa…nitation with built-in filtration system
- Funnel by Bevk Perovic Arhitekti for Ver…tigo Bird
- Bullet Collection by Studio Itai Bar-On …and Oded Webman
- Grand by Monica Förster for Offecct
- Ron Arad: Restless – a tour of Ron Ara…d’s studio
- Gaudi Stool by Studio Geenen
- Front at Design Indaba
- Ron Arad: Restless - "It would be nice i…f a lot of things were moving"
- Made in Japan by Antrepo
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories