News: British firm Foster + Partners has unveiled plans for two residential skyscrapers as part of a mixed-use development in north London.
The skyscrapers will form part of a cluster of residential towers proposed for the City Road area in Islington, including Dutch firm UNStudio's Canaletto building and another proposed by US architects SOM.
Foster + Partners' plans include 800 homes across two towers, which, at 41 and 36 storeys in height, would be significantly taller than any other buildings in the surrounding area.
Additional buildings containing shops, cafes, restaurants and a community space would be arranged around a central public park and courtyard garden.
Berkeley Group initially employed London practice DSDHA to explore the potential of the site before a public consultation in July last year, after which the project was handed over to Foster + Partners.
The project team, which includes landscape architects Gillespies, has now submitted the planning application to the local council.
Elsewhere in London, Foster + Partners recently received planning permission for three residential towers on the south side of the river Thames near Lambeth Bridge.
The firm also recently completed a new gallery wing clad with golden pipes at the Lenbachhaus art museum in Munich and an airport terminal under a canopy of domes in Jordan – see all architecture by Foster + Partners.
- 2+2 Houses by Tank Architectes
- Villa Paya-Paya by Aboday architects
- Astrup Fearnley Museet by Renzo Piano Bu…ilding Workshop
- Rolling Huts by Olson Sundberg Kundig Al…len Architects
- Centre of Pedagogic Multimedia Resources… by Béal & Blanckaert
- The Culture Yard by AART Architects
- dezeen loves... Deitch PAPER Art Store
- Orchard House by Studio Octopi
- Duque Motta & AA designs punctured concr…ete volumes for Chilean university faculty
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories