News: British firm Foster + Partners has unveiled plans for two residential skyscrapers as part of a mixed-use development in north London.
The skyscrapers will form part of a cluster of residential towers proposed for the City Road area in Islington, including Dutch firm UNStudio's Canaletto building and another proposed by US architects SOM.
Foster + Partners' plans include 800 homes across two towers, which, at 41 and 36 storeys in height, would be significantly taller than any other buildings in the surrounding area.
Additional buildings containing shops, cafes, restaurants and a community space would be arranged around a central public park and courtyard garden.
Berkeley Group initially employed London practice DSDHA to explore the potential of the site before a public consultation in July last year, after which the project was handed over to Foster + Partners.
The project team, which includes landscape architects Gillespies, has now submitted the planning application to the local council.
Elsewhere in London, Foster + Partners recently received planning permission for three residential towers on the south side of the river Thames near Lambeth Bridge.
The firm also recently completed a new gallery wing clad with golden pipes at the Lenbachhaus art museum in Munich and an airport terminal under a canopy of domes in Jordan – see all architecture by Foster + Partners.
- Gort Scott adds timber-framed extensio…n to 19th century Victoria Park house
- ArcelorMittal Orbit by Anish Kapoor an…d Cecil Balmond
- Quinta dos Alcoutins by GGLL Atelier
- Alte Schule Winterbach by Archifaktur
- Cloudy House by Takao Shiotsuka
- ZMS Schwandorf Administration Building… by Archimedialab
- Dezeen archive: prefabricated building…s
- Canadian lodge by Chevalier Morales re…ferences Alpine chalets
- Casamoro Condominiums by G.Lab* of Gan…sam Partners
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories