Over a thousand ghostly white shoes protrude from the walls of this New York store for shoe brand Camper, designed by Japanese studio Nendo (+ slideshow).
Nendo arranged the shoes in a regimented pattern across every wall, intended to look like they are "walking on air". Each identical shoe is a replica of the Camper Pelota, the brand's most iconic footwear collection, and is made from white resin.
"When designing such a big space you have to face the challenge of how to use the upper half of the walls to display the shoes in areas with such high ceilings," says Nendo. "Our new approach involves making models of the Pelotas shoes and decorating the walls with them to fill the space and create the feel of an orderly stockroom."
There are a handful of openings at the base of the walls for displaying the current collections, which can easily be spotted due to their stand-out colours.
More shoes are displayed on white platforms in the centre of the store, while recessed openings house the brand's sock and bag collections.
Nendo developed a similar concept for a store in Osaka, where shoes appear to walk around the store on their own. The designers also previously completed a stand covered in books for a Camper exhibition in Barcelona. See more design by Nendo.
Located on Fifth Avenue, this is the fourth Camper store to open in New York, following one by fellow Japanese designer Shigeru Ban where shoes are hidden within a zigzagging wall. Other interesting Camper stores include one in Lyon with never-ending staircases and one in Malmö based on ice cream colours and lolly sticks. See more Camper store designs.
Photography is by Jesse Goff.
- Tinkebell. at Torch Gallery
- Primewine Bar by Sandellsandberg
- Camper Store Malmö - The Shoe Testing F…acility by Note Design Studio
- Outrace by Kram/Weisshaar for Trafalgar …Square
- Occidorient by François Mangeol
- Toyo Ito wanted delicate textiles to "fl…oat in the air" in his Milan showroom for Kinnasand
- Una's Kitchen by Nordic Bros. Design Com…munity
- Sticks by Emmanuelle Moureaux for Issey …Miyake
- Vitus Bering Innovation Park by CF Møll…er
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories