This Kevlar rucksack with a built-in protective hood by Israeli designer Hila Raam is perfect for anyone who wants to go backpacking in a war zone.
Hila Raam, a recent graduate of Hadassah College in Jerusalem, created the Rhino Skin backpack as a form of personal protection that safeguards the wearer from the debris and impact of missile attacks.
Developed using Aramid, a bulletproof fibre used in military vests, the backpack is designed for people living in areas of the world where terror attacks are a part of daily life.
In the event of an emergency, the wearer simply pulls the side straps of the bag around their chest, hauls the protective hood over their head and lays on the ground for cover.
The shape of the backpack is formulated to protect the vital organs. Raam hopes its use will reduce the number of fatalities associated with terror attacks.
In the video Raam created to explain the project (above) she documents the number of rocket and mortar attacks in Israel in recent years points out that 60% of people were in the open air when the attacks occurred, leaving them with limited options for protecting themselves.
In the event of an air raid warning, people caught outdoors should lie flat on the ground to avoid shrapnel from exploding munitions. Donning the Rhino Skin backpack and hood would reduce the chance of injury, Raam believes.
"This unique bag pack protects the essential life or death body areas," says Raam. "It protects the head, neck, back and the sides of the body. Most important the brain, heart, liver and kidneys are fully protected."
- Normal Vivid by Ross McBride now further… reduced at Dezeen Watch Store
- International Biennial of Graphic Design… in Brno
- Samuel Wilkinson designs faceted station…ery for Lexon
- Behind the scenes with Dominic Wilcox ma…king his "stained-glass driverless car"
- Material Centric by Benjamin Hubert
- Handle Pendants by Josie Morris
- Psychomoulages by Olivier Peyricot
- Multithread by Clemens Weisshaar and Ree…d Kram
- Stone by Denis Guidone now available at …Dezeen Watch Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories