French designers Zébra3/Buy-Sellf have designed a prefabricated holiday home in the shape of a cloud that sits next to a lake in south-west France (+ slideshow).
Le Nuage (The Cloud) cabin by Zébra3/Buy-Sellf was designed for the Urban Community of Bordeaux (CUB) and is located in the Lormont commune just outside the French city of Bordeaux in south-western France.
It was originally designed as an art installation and is now used as a rural shelter for holidaymakers. "Sleeping in a comic-style hut [...] is a unique urban experience," said Zebra3.
The cabin is made from softwood, plywood, plexiglas and glass‐fibre reinforced plastic. It is painted white to look like a fluffy cloud and has thin slanted windows that offer views across the countryside.
Sitting on the side of the French lake and surrounded by leafy hills, the playful cabin shelters up to seven people.
It provides only bare essentials such as bedding. The cabin does not provide any electricity or water.
Other holiday homes we have featured on Dezeen include a four-storey concrete holiday home nestled on a hillside in Austria by Marte.Marte Architects, a holiday retreat that looks like a children's toy box and earlier this year Dutch design studio Tjep developed a concept for a retreat with a facade that opens like a cupboard and has a "solar tree" on the roof.
- BA_LIK by Vallo Sadovsky Architects
- House on the Mexican Pacific Coast by …Cadaval & Sola-Morales
- House N by Maxwan
- Vo Trong Nghia Architects adds brick a…nd bamboo to Vietnam factory interior
- JGC House by MDBA
- Roots trail from house suspended above… a construction site by Leandro Erlich
- Suppose Design Office's ￼House in Hi…baru stretches down to the edge of a reservoir
- London Aquatics Centre 2012 by Zaha Ha…did
- An Atmosphere Excavated by John Becker
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories