French designers Zébra3/Buy-Sellf have designed a prefabricated holiday home in the shape of a cloud that sits next to a lake in south-west France (+ slideshow).
Le Nuage (The Cloud) cabin by Zébra3/Buy-Sellf was designed for the Urban Community of Bordeaux (CUB) and is located in the Lormont commune just outside the French city of Bordeaux in south-western France.
It was originally designed as an art installation and is now used as a rural shelter for holidaymakers. "Sleeping in a comic-style hut [...] is a unique urban experience," said Zebra3.
The cabin is made from softwood, plywood, plexiglas and glass‐fibre reinforced plastic. It is painted white to look like a fluffy cloud and has thin slanted windows that offer views across the countryside.
Sitting on the side of the French lake and surrounded by leafy hills, the playful cabin shelters up to seven people.
It provides only bare essentials such as bedding. The cabin does not provide any electricity or water.
Other holiday homes we have featured on Dezeen include a four-storey concrete holiday home nestled on a hillside in Austria by Marte.Marte Architects, a holiday retreat that looks like a children's toy box and earlier this year Dutch design studio Tjep developed a concept for a retreat with a facade that opens like a cupboard and has a "solar tree" on the roof.
- Dadong Art Centre by MAYU Architects and… de Architekten Cie
- Gehry, Nouvel, Ando, Hadid build in Abu …Dhabi
- Wooden Haus M by Exit Architects is a sk…iing and hiking retreat in Austria
- Studio for a Composer by Johnsen Schmali…ng Architects
- Watervilla de Omval by +31 Architects
- River Soar bridge by Explorations Archit…ecture and Buro Happold
- Transustainable House by Sugawaradaisuke… features a rusted facade to reflect the climate
- Composting Shed by Groves-Raines Archite…cts
- Walking Berlin by Fantastic Norway
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories