News: architects including Alvaro Siza, Eduardo Souto de Moura and Kengo Kuma will create installations inside London's Royal Academy of Arts for an upcoming architecture exhibition.
Sensing Spaces: Architecture Reimagined will see seven architects create temporary structures across the 13 main galleries of the Royal Academy of Arts (RA).
The selected architects are Pritzker Prize winners Álvaro Siza and Eduardo Souto de Moura of Portugal, Kengo Kuma of Japan, Stirling Prize nominees Grafton Architects of Ireland, Li Xiaodong of China, Pezo von Ellrichshausen of Chile and Diébédo Francis Kéré of Burkina Faso and Germany.
Each architect will create a sensory and spatial intervention exploring the emotive powers of architecture inside the Grade II* listed galleries of the London institution.
Speaking at a press event earlier today, the RA's architecture curator Kate Goodwin said she hopes the exhibition will help "visitors rediscover the quality of architecture".
Also present at the event, Grafton Architects director Yvonne Farrell told Dezeen: "What is different about this exhibition is that it's not about representing projects and buildings."
"What Kate asked us to do is to focus on fundamental qualities that we've been searching for generally in our work and find a way of expressing that to the public," said Farrell.
Although the designs of each structure are yet to be unveiled, Goodwin hinted that Kuma's piece is to be based on the Japanese performing art of Kodo. Grafton Architects will manipulate "light from the skylights" in the central gallery, and Xiaodong's contribution will be a "labyrinth".
The RA released one teaser image showing a dark corridor with a glowing floor (top).
A special film in one gallery will play interviews with the architects speaking about their designs for the exhibition and introducing their previous work. Visitors will be encouraged to touch, interact and take photos of the installations.
Sensing Spaces will open to the public on 25 January 2014 and run until 6 April 2014.
- The Jewel Box by Fraher Architects
- The Round Tower by De Matos Ryan
- Allianz Headquarters by Wiel Arets fea…tures glass fritted to reference Mies' Barcelona Pavilion
- Ninetree Village by David Chipperfield… Architects
- Smoking Room by Gianni Botsford Archit…ects is a translucent-concrete garden folly
- Beachfront facilities building by Link… Architectes nestles into a slope near Saint-Étienne
- Slideshow feature: J Mayer H in Georgi…a
- Country Victoria Modular House by Carr… Design Group
- Casa Parr by Pezo von Ellrichshausen A…rquitectos
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories