This squishy light by German product designer Simon Frambach can be used as a warm, glowing pillow.
Simon Frambach's balloon-shaped Soft Lamp gives off a soft light and slight warmth, creating an illuminated cushion.
As well as providing a headrest, the lamp can be squeezed into gaps or trapped between objects where needed. It's made from foamed polyurethane and shaped using rotation milling.
The low-energy bulb within is protected by a cage so it doesn't smash when the lamp is squashed. A red cord leads out the back to a power source.
We've featured a few products designed for sleeping, including headgear that creates the perfect conditions for a nap and a wearable cocoon of quilts and blankets for people to take their bed wherever they go.
The designer sent us the following information:
A soft and flexible occasional light that interacts with its surroundings in a unique way by Simon Frambach.
Soft Light is a soft and flexible light made of foamed polyurethane. Its curvy fluent shape that resembles a calabash pumpkin provokes an organic and familiar appearance for a thoroughly synthetic and industrialised material.
Soft Light can be placed in unused spaces like cavities in furniture and other places as an object that fills a void in one's living environment. Its warm and tangible surface invites to touching and literally feeling light. The result is a light which is extremely flexible in use without having a technical characteristic.
The light shade has been crafted from a massive block of polyurethane foam on a simple self-constructed device for rotational milling. The device allows for a precise production of a desired shape. An energy saving light bulb, protected by a cage, illuminates the porous foam from the inside.
- Olafur Eliasson's immersive light instal…lations inhabit Gehry's Fondation Louis Vuitton
- Lamp made from model glider materials by… Studio Daniel for Odesi
- Numen/For Use creates inhabitable "corpo…real" installation with sticky tape
- Designed in Hackney: Josiah pendant ligh…t by Terence Woodgate
- Cod Collection by Kria
- Sherman Contemporary Art Foundation Bibl…iotheca by LAVA
- DesignTide in Tokyo 2007 details
- Zaha Hadid at IMM Cologne
- Rings by Nicolas Le Moigne and A.E.Köch…ert
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories