In our second movie with Tom Dixon filmed earlier this year in Milan, the British designer discusses his foray into fashion design and says that his capsule collection for sports brand Adidas is based on the idea of creating a personal survival kit for Milan design week.
"That's been a fascinating experience of diving into a much bigger infrastructure and going in there with a very naive view but also a very different view on sportswear."
He adds: "It's been a riot working in this completely new playground of a different typology of goods, in which I can use some of the same ideas but in a completely new world."
Dixon's collection, which was on display amongst the steam trains at Milan's Museum of Science and Technology as part of MOST, includes underwear, trousers, shirts, shoes and waterproof jackets that fold easily and can be packed efficiently. Dixon also designed a coat that doubles up as a sleeping bag.
"Adidas started off with a bag and then I thought, I'm not just going to do a bag, I'm going to fill that bag with everything that I need for Milan," Dixon explains.
"So I started thinking about my personal problems. I always forget to pack the right number of pants or socks, or I forget that there's going to be a volcano and I'll get trapped in Milan and so I'll need a sleeping bag [a reference to the 2010 volcanic eruption in Iceland, which suspended air travel for weeks]."
He concludes: "All of those adventures I had in Milan went into that collection. It's as much as I can fit into a carry-on bag on a low-cost airline, with everything that I need for a week away."
- New design brand TOG unveils outdoor fur…niture by Sebastian Bergne
- Newton by Staffan Holm and Dan Sunaga
- Phototrope shirt by Pauline van Dongen i…ncludes LEDs to improve safety for night runners
- Zita Merényi sears fabric to create fas…hion collection with scarred seams
- Vitamin debuts furniture collection infl…uenced by small-scale production
- Poke Stool by Kyuhyung Cho for Innermost
- The Link Shelf offers an update on a cla…ssic modular shelving system
- Dezeen Screen: LunaTik and TikTok by Sco…tt Wilson
- David Wiseman at R 20th Century
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories