Mathias Hahn's new Louche glassware collection features an opaque white water bottle with a grey stopper, a tall mint-green glass beaker and a small transparent beaker with a green lid.
Hahn said that this experimental glassware range aimed to expose opaline or opaque glass qualities to a younger and contemporary audience.
The glassware has different grades of opacity that are created by hand-blowing opaline glass into changing wall thicknesses. "By using a subtle set of monochrome colours, the often very decorative use of opaque glass is transferred into refined and plain objects," explained Hahn.
"The louche [name] describes a very similar visual condition, when spirits such as absinthe or pastis turn from clear to cloudy when adding water," Hahn said.
Mathias Hahn started his own design studio in 2006 and is one of the founding members of design collective OKAYstudio. The Louche glassware will be on display until 22 September as part of OKAYstudio's Loose Thread exhibition at Ben Sherman’s Modular Blanc exhibition space in London at 108 Commercial Street, London, E1 6LZ.
Other projects by Hahn's that we've featured on Dezeen include a set of mirrors with wooden handles that swivel up and down and a collection of coloured glass vessels that feature concrete, brass and metal. See all our coverage on Mathias Hahn »
Other ceramics featured on Dezeen recently include a new collection of bone china plates with a sandy texture and a small ceramic pendant that bounces light off of large steel bowls.
Photographs are courtesy of the designer.
- Osso by Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec for Mat…tiazzi
- Movie: Dita Von Teese hologram by Musion… for Christian Louboutin at the Design Museum
- Matthew Hilton at 100% Design
- Walk the Walk by David Taylor
- SOFTlab installs colourful funneled cano…py in Melissa shoe shop
- Nendo twists traditional details to enli…ven simple white shirts
- Design Museum Collection App: computers
- Toshi cabinets by Luca Nichetto for Casa…mania
- Found Form by Enina Waelstham for Mormel…s design
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories