News: the completion of Art Nouveau architect Antoni Gaudí's Sagrada Família basilica in Barcelona is simulated in this movie released to show the final stages of construction anticipated before 2026, 100 years after the death of the architect (+ movie).
It combines helicopter footage of the current building with computer-animated renders to show spires, a central cupola and other remaining structures rise from nothing.
The Sagrada Familia Foundation has also published six one-minute movies showing 3D animations of the completion dates for each phase, including the Sagristia in 2015, Torre de Maria in 2018 and Torre de Jesus in 2020.
When the basilica is finished it will have 18 towers dedicated to different religious figures, of various heights to reflect their hierarchy. There are eight towers completed so far.
Work began on Sagrada Familia in 1882 and Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi took over the direction in 1914. The completed basilica is due to open in 2026, 144 years after it began, to coincide with the centennial anniversary of Gaudí's death in 1926.
Since 1990, the build has been overseen by architect Jordi Faulí. He worked first as an architect, then as deputy chief architect, and was appointed Chief Architect in 2012.
In June, Google celebrated Gaudi's 161 birthday with a google doodle that depicted stylised versions of some of the architects most famous works, including Park Guell and Casa Mila in Barcelona.
- Market Hall by Robbrecht en Daem and Mar…ie-José Van Hee
- Árborg House by PK Arkitektar overlooks… an Icelandic glacial valley
- Tetris Apartments by OFIS Arhitekti
- Sloped decking creates waterfront slides… at Faaborg Harbour Bath
- Lengths of bamboo create the giant petal…s of Penda's Blossom Gate
- House 1 and House 2 by TAKA
- CTYN Internal Garden House by Archi LAB.… t+m
- Serpentine Gallery Pavilion by SANAA
- Quarto Ponte sul Canal Grande by Santiag…o Calatrava
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories