News: the completion of Art Nouveau architect Antoni Gaudí's Sagrada Família basilica in Barcelona is simulated in this movie released to show the final stages of construction anticipated before 2026, 100 years after the death of the architect (+ movie).
It combines helicopter footage of the current building with computer-animated renders to show spires, a central cupola and other remaining structures rise from nothing.
The Sagrada Familia Foundation has also published six one-minute movies showing 3D animations of the completion dates for each phase, including the Sagristia in 2015, Torre de Maria in 2018 and Torre de Jesus in 2020.
When the basilica is finished it will have 18 towers dedicated to different religious figures, of various heights to reflect their hierarchy. There are eight towers completed so far.
Work began on Sagrada Familia in 1882 and Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi took over the direction in 1914. The completed basilica is due to open in 2026, 144 years after it began, to coincide with the centennial anniversary of Gaudí's death in 1926.
Since 1990, the build has been overseen by architect Jordi Faulí. He worked first as an architect, then as deputy chief architect, and was appointed Chief Architect in 2012.
In June, Google celebrated Gaudi's 161 birthday with a google doodle that depicted stylised versions of some of the architects most famous works, including Park Guell and Casa Mila in Barcelona.
- Apollo Architects specifies concrete a…nd plastic for Frame house in Tokyo
- Carl Turner design open-source house t…hat floats on floodwater
- The New Dance and Music Centre in The …Hague by RAU Architects & Powerhouse Company
- ￼￼￼Coach Omotesando by OMA
- Research Pavilion by ICD and ITKE
- Swimming Pool in Chamusca da Beira by …João Mendes Ribeiro
- Micro House in Tsinghua by Studio Liu …Lubin
- White rooftops turn red during emergen…cies at retirement home by Guedes Cruz Architects
- Kodály Centre by Építész Stúdió
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories