News: the completion of Art Nouveau architect Antoni Gaudí's Sagrada Família basilica in Barcelona is simulated in this movie released to show the final stages of construction anticipated before 2026, 100 years after the death of the architect (+ movie).
It combines helicopter footage of the current building with computer-animated renders to show spires, a central cupola and other remaining structures rise from nothing.
The Sagrada Familia Foundation has also published six one-minute movies showing 3D animations of the completion dates for each phase, including the Sagristia in 2015, Torre de Maria in 2018 and Torre de Jesus in 2020.
When the basilica is finished it will have 18 towers dedicated to different religious figures, of various heights to reflect their hierarchy. There are eight towers completed so far.
Work began on Sagrada Familia in 1882 and Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi took over the direction in 1914. The completed basilica is due to open in 2026, 144 years after it began, to coincide with the centennial anniversary of Gaudí's death in 1926.
Since 1990, the build has been overseen by architect Jordi Faulí. He worked first as an architect, then as deputy chief architect, and was appointed Chief Architect in 2012.
In June, Google celebrated Gaudi's 161 birthday with a google doodle that depicted stylised versions of some of the architects most famous works, including Park Guell and Casa Mila in Barcelona.
- Centre Zamet by 3LHD Architects
- Indonesian open-air cinema by Csutoras… & Liando built from scaffolding and plywood
- Peace Pavilion by Atelier Zündel Cris…tea
- Jönköping – Västra Kajen by Tham …& Videgård Hansson Arkitekter
- Duncan Terrace by DOSarchitects
- Casa Parr by Pezo von Ellrichshausen A…rquitectos
- Highland house by A+J Burridge
- Wowhaus converts a Moscow road into a …riverside park
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: Z-house by… Hohyun Park and Hyunjoo Kim
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories