Dutch Design Week 2013: Dutch designer Elisa van Joolen has taken left over sample shoes from shoe brands including Nike, Converse and Clarks, and turned them inside-out to create new footwear (+ slideshow).
She then recycles the sneakers and creates new designs by cutting off the bottoms, turning the material inside out and stitching on bases of cheap sandals.
"The inversion process allows the seams that are normally hidden within the shoes to emerge," Van Joolen told Dezeen. "These seams were sown by factory workers, and their presence in the production process is brought to the fore. The new incarnation emphasises the handwork that is part of these shoes as well, while obscuring or at least de-emphasising their mass-produced element."
Inverting the shoes removes any branding across the design, plus reveals different colours and graphics from the internal parts.
Elastic straps that hold the tongue in place create stripes down the sides of the shoes and the "sample not for resale" text printed on the inner forms graphics toward the back.
Van Joolen uses the soles cut from the shoes to make flip-flops, punching holes in them and threading laces through so they act like straps.
"Van Joolen gives a new meaning to recycling," said the jury. "With this collection she kicks in the shins of international footwear brands and shows them that recycling can go hand in hand with a nice product. It is not often that such a good story is converted to an interesting result."
Footwear alleged to be made from bio-engineered stingray skin was also nominated for the 2013 awards. All shortlisted products are on show in Eindhoven this week as part of Dutch Design Week.
- Serac Bench by Zaha Hadid for Lab23
- Philip Michael Wolfson at Covent Garden …Super Design
- Dutch designers collaborate for Low Mot…ion exhibition
- Fish packaging by PostlerFerguson
- Design Academy Eindhoven in Milan 2
- Studio Macura designs minimal accessorie…s collection
- Parrish by Konstantin Grcic and Emeco fo…r the Parrish Art Museum
- Chair for Dali by Kei Harada
- Species of Illumination interactive ligh…ts go in search of humans and dark spots
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories