News: Lady Gaga wore the world's "first flying dress" at the launch party for her latest album last night.
Lady Gaga was strapped into a white fibreglass suit shaped to look like a haute-couture gown and flown by six battery-powered rotors at the event in Brooklyn.
The rotors lifted the singer half a metre off the ground and propelled her forward several metres - as shown in the video below.
The high-tech outfit named Volantis was designed by the popstar, London company Studio XO and TechHaus, the technology division of the star's Haus of Gaga creative team.
Its rotors are surrounded by white cylinders arranged hexagonally and connected to a central node above the suit, which rests on the ground using a circular stand when not in flight.
Lady Gaga unveiled the project at the ArtRAVE party for the launch of her third studio album ARTPOP.
"I wanted to make today about something even more important to me," she told attendees at the event. "That something is the youth of the world. Benjamin and Nancy [the dress' engineer and designer] are here with me today. Their minds are just so boundless. I will be a vehicle today for their voices... Youth all over the world."
Photograph from Getty Images.
- Inception dish rack shaped like Manhatta…n by Luca Nichetto launches in New York
- Litracon light-transmitting concrete
- Bombay Sapphire at the London Design Fes…tival: The Tournament by Jaime Hayón
- Studio Siem & Pabon's Fervent Carpet kil…ls dust mites to relieve asthma sufferers
- Copy and Authorship by Lucas Verweij
- Teso table by Foster + Partners for Molt…eni&C
- VOID watches back in stock at Dezeen Wat…ch Store
- Ultra Lead by Georges Moanack
- Lotus Dome by Studio Roosegaarde
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories