News: Lady Gaga wore the world's "first flying dress" at the launch party for her latest album last night.
Lady Gaga was strapped into a white fibreglass suit shaped to look like a haute-couture gown and flown by six battery-powered rotors at the event in Brooklyn.
The rotors lifted the singer half a metre off the ground and propelled her forward several metres - as shown in the video below.
The high-tech outfit named Volantis was designed by the popstar, London company Studio XO and TechHaus, the technology division of the star's Haus of Gaga creative team.
Its rotors are surrounded by white cylinders arranged hexagonally and connected to a central node above the suit, which rests on the ground using a circular stand when not in flight.
Lady Gaga unveiled the project at the ArtRAVE party for the launch of her third studio album ARTPOP.
"I wanted to make today about something even more important to me," she told attendees at the event. "That something is the youth of the world. Benjamin and Nancy [the dress' engineer and designer] are here with me today. Their minds are just so boundless. I will be a vehicle today for their voices... Youth all over the world."
Photograph from Getty Images.
- Function follows form in Bruno Schilli…nger's Unidentiﬁed products collection
- Brass tools and silk apparel for minin…g the world's most abundant mineral
- Punk: Chaos to Couture exhibition at T…he Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Alternative Alarm Clock by Ki Hyun Kim
- Autumn Winter 2013 collection by Garet…h Pugh
- Lamps by Nao Tamura, Zaha Hadid and Jo…hn Pawson feature in Wonderglass movie
- "There's a return to the commerce of t…he fair"
- Handlebar Candlesticks by Yen-Wen Tsen…g
- The Fluke by BarberOsgerby 2
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories