OMA has teamed up with property developer Related California and non-profit organisation Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation to plan the tower as part of a residential development offering a mix of homes for sale and rent, of which 27 percent will be affordable.
Led by OMA partner Shohei Shigematsu, the design also features a pair of podium buildings and a row of townhouses.
The development will be constructed on a city-owned plot between First Street and Fremont Street - one of 11 sites being sold off to pay for the $4.2 billion Transbay Transit Centre housing development nearby.
The OMA team is understood to have offered San Francisco's Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure $72 million for the plot, coming in ahead of bids from developers Millennium Partners and Golub & Co.
The project is OMA's second recent appointment in California, following a commission for a major mixed-use public building for downtown Santa Monica.
Image is by Steelblue.
- Stjepan Radić Square by NFO
- Civic Sports Center and 2013 National Ga…mes Arena by Emergent
- Montreal house by Naturehumaine features… a glass floor with a skylight overhead
- Concrete canopy creates two-storey terra…ce for home and clinic by Graux & Baeyens
- House B.A.B.E. by Destilat is twisted to… shelter the entrance
- Hiding in Triangles by Philip Modest Sch…ambelan and Anton Fromm
- London youth centre by RCKa features a t…ranslucent polycarbonate facade
- Chrystelle Sanaa's Municipal Technical C…entre is clad in thin strips of cedar
- Slideshow feature: Fogo Island Artists' …Studios by Saunders Architecture
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories