OMA has teamed up with property developer Related California and non-profit organisation Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation to plan the tower as part of a residential development offering a mix of homes for sale and rent, of which 27 percent will be affordable.
Led by OMA partner Shohei Shigematsu, the design also features a pair of podium buildings and a row of townhouses.
The development will be constructed on a city-owned plot between First Street and Fremont Street - one of 11 sites being sold off to pay for the $4.2 billion Transbay Transit Centre housing development nearby.
The OMA team is understood to have offered San Francisco's Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure $72 million for the plot, coming in ahead of bids from developers Millennium Partners and Golub & Co.
The project is OMA's second recent appointment in California, following a commission for a major mixed-use public building for downtown Santa Monica.
Image is by Steelblue.
- Kaap Skil Maritime and Beachcombers Muse…um by Mecanoo
- Playpen for dogs installed within Soichi… Yamasaki's S Residence
- Stone canopy by a21studio forms monastic… pagoda in a Vietnam park
- Asymmetric House in Tourimachi slots bet…ween two buildings
- Movie: Basket Apartments by OFIS Arhitek…ti
- Maggie’s Centre Gartnavel by OMA
- Paddling Home by Kacey Wong
- Burnham Pavilion by UNStudio
- Madison House by Thomas Phifer and Partn…ers
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories