OMA has teamed up with property developer Related California and non-profit organisation Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation to plan the tower as part of a residential development offering a mix of homes for sale and rent, of which 27 percent will be affordable.
Led by OMA partner Shohei Shigematsu, the design also features a pair of podium buildings and a row of townhouses.
The development will be constructed on a city-owned plot between First Street and Fremont Street - one of 11 sites being sold off to pay for the $4.2 billion Transbay Transit Centre housing development nearby.
The OMA team is understood to have offered San Francisco's Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure $72 million for the plot, coming in ahead of bids from developers Millennium Partners and Golub & Co.
The project is OMA's second recent appointment in California, following a commission for a major mixed-use public building for downtown Santa Monica.
Image is by Steelblue.
- House in Oxfordshire is covered in oak… to create a "simplified volume"
- Zaha Hadid and Daniel Libeskind build …a community of 650 homes in Milan
- Metal-recycling plant by Dekleva Grego…ric Arhitekti
- Florian Busch scatters square windows …across the concrete facades of a Tokyo office
- Kew Tree Top Walkway by Marks Barfield… Architects
- Wanders launches Mondrian South Beach …project
- Inntel hotel by WAM Architecten
- Nakheel Harbour & Tower by Woods Bagot
- Camarim Arquitectos pays homage to Lis…bon's decorative houses with a patterned-tile facade
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories