OMA has teamed up with property developer Related California and non-profit organisation Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation to plan the tower as part of a residential development offering a mix of homes for sale and rent, of which 27 percent will be affordable.
Led by OMA partner Shohei Shigematsu, the design also features a pair of podium buildings and a row of townhouses.
The development will be constructed on a city-owned plot between First Street and Fremont Street - one of 11 sites being sold off to pay for the $4.2 billion Transbay Transit Centre housing development nearby.
The OMA team is understood to have offered San Francisco's Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure $72 million for the plot, coming in ahead of bids from developers Millennium Partners and Golub & Co.
The project is OMA's second recent appointment in California, following a commission for a major mixed-use public building for downtown Santa Monica.
Image is by Steelblue.
- Enzo Ferrari Museum by Future Systems
- Silo Stay Little River by F3 Design
- BGU University Entrance Square by Chyuti…n Architects
- Rowing facility by Álvaro Fernandes And…rade snakes across a landscape of underground dorms
- VitraHaus by Herzog & de Meuron
- Olympic Ice Rink of Liège by L'Escaut
- Miami Chapel by FR-EE
- Reframe by Paul Scales and Atelier Kit
- Designed in Hackney: The Sunday Stuga by… Liddicoat & Goldhill
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories