Fresh loaves and sugary treats are presented alongside wooden surfaces, ceramic tiles and plants at this renovated bakery in Kiryu, Japan, by architecture studio SNARK (+ slideshow).
Style Bakery was first established in the 1930s, but SNARK was asked to give the space a makeover that could potentially be applied to other branches as the brand expands.
The team developed a simple design concept that features wooden surfaces, tiled surfaces, grey steel frames and large pendant lamps, complemented by plenty of natural light.
"Using the light grey as the concept colour of the brand, the shop holds the sense of unity, and the bright and clean atmosphere," said SNARK principal Sunao Koase, whose past projects include a bronze house in Saitama.
"Maximising the height and the width of the windows and selecting a slim frame brings brightness and freshness to the room," he added.
Related story: Bread Table by Airhouse Design Office
The white-painted interior is accessed through a glazed door in the transparent facade. Inside, solid oak surfaces create areas for displaying freshly baked goods, including cakes, muffins and biscuits.
"Solid oak was used for the top panels to enhance the warmth of the bread," said Koase.
One counter sits on the right hand side of the entrance, creating an area for serving customers. The wall behind is clad with the same grey tiles, adorned with lettering that spells out the name of the bakery.
Another counter sits provide a central display space, illuminated by a row of three low-hanging industrial lights, while other items are displayed along the rear wall and over an oak table at the front of the store.
A steel-framed stand presents loaves of bread next to the serving counter and a range of cookbooks and baking utensils are displayed on shelves.
A steel-plated logo mounted above the entrance spells the name of the bakery in neon lettering. Outside, a small steel flag stamped with the letter S is stuck into the ground, marking the entrance door.
Photography is by Ippei Shinzawa.
- Zaha Hadid and Suprematism at Galerie Gm…urzynska Zurich
- Kengo Kuma stacks wooden layers inside o…ffice and cafe
- Sayama Flats by Schemata Architecture Of…fice
- Inside awards: Food Bar at the Grand Hot…el by Ilse Crawford
- Grzegorz Layer creates a menswear store …inside a former sewing factory
- Bestie Currywurst by Scott & Scott Archi…tects
- St Barbara Bastions by Architecture Proj…ect
- Form Us With Love hops onto craft beer t…rend with laboratory-inspired exhibition
- Tsvetnoy Central Market by Lifschutz Dav…idson Sandilands
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories