Timber slats cover the angular facades and roof of this community centre in the Bordeaux suburb of Pessac by local studio Gayet-Roger Architects (+ slideshow).
The Sardine Community Centre was designed by Gayet-Roger Architects for a site in a developing neighbourhood of Pessac, close to a new eco-housing project.
Its irregular, multi-sided plan was determined by the position of the surrounding streets, and by local planning regulations that stipulated a minimum distance between the building and the roads.
Larch boards were used for all the exterior surfaces of the faceted structure to create a unified facade.
Related story: Gavroche centre for children by SOA Architectes
Recessed openings for doors and windows were positioned to make the most of the surrounding views and feature bright yellow reveals that contrast with the natural grain of the larch wood.
The main entrance leads to a hallway that divides the interior into two halves; one for the main activity rooms and another for practical facilities including offices, bathrooms and storage.
Solid wooden beams support a ceiling made from perforated steel sheeting, specified to improve the acoustic quality inside the rooms.
A chimney-like protrusion in the roof contains a skylight that directs natural light into a multipurpose room. Fitted plywood cabinets line one wall of the space, while glazed doors on either side lead to outdoor spaces with different functions.
One side of the building opens onto a gravel garden planted with trees, while the other side faces a courtyard that will host an annual street party for the community to gather and eat the region's famous grilled sardines.
Photography is by Julien Fernandez.
- Bjarke Ingels to deliver the Royal Acade…my Annual Architecture Lecture 2015
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: (X) for Ordo…s 100 by Multiplicities
- Redhill Apartment by Studio SKLIM
- Hotel Topazz by BWM Architekten und Part…ner and Michael Manzenreiter
- Casa Transportable ÁPH80 by Ábaton
- Kalvebod Waves by JDS Architects and KLA…R Architects
- Yuko Nagayama floats an apartment above …a patisserie in Japan
- Thomas Phifer's United States Courthouse… is covered in vertical sun shades
- The Rothschild Foundation by Stephen Mar…shall Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories