This floating wooden bridge by Dutch studio RO&AD snakes across the surface of a moat surrounding an 18th-century fortress in the city of Bergen op Zoom (+ slideshow).
RO&AD designed the floating bridge to provide pedestrian access and an emergency exit between the city and the Ravelijn op den Zoom fortress, which is located on a small island and is currently used to host private events.
Related story: Sunken Bridge by RO&AD
The architects developed a design for a new floating structure "to increase access without distracting from the historic appearance and layout."
The fortress was built by military engineer Menno van Coehoorn and had at one stage only been accessible by boat. A raised wooden bridge was added in the 1930s, but is located on the opposite side of the moat.
The new 80-metre-long bridge follows the original route boats would have taken between a jetty on the edge of the moat and a raised entrance situated in one of the fortress's walls.
A gently bowed profile raises the walkway slightly above the water level as it meanders across the moat.
The slatted surface is made from a high-performance wood product called Accoya, which is treated to improve its ability to resist fungal decay, and the effect of swelling and shrinkage that could result from its proximity to water.
"The bridge surface features a natural and beautiful appearance that complements the historic nature of the fortress," said the architects.
A wooden deck erected at the entrance to the fortress is connected to the bridge by a short set of stairs.
Air-filled polyethylene pipes positioned underneath the timber surface help keep the bridge afloat, without requiring any additional structural framework.
RO&AD previously designed a wooden bridge across the moat of a seventeenth century Dutch fort that descends below the level of the water to hide it from view.
- El Claustro Cultural Center by Eneseis A…rquitectura
- Villa Överby by John Robert Nilsson
- World Architecture Festival and Inside F…estival: save 10% on entry fee
- Givenchy store in Seoul has an undulatin…g moulded-metal facade
- Concrete office block designed by Regino… Cruz Arquitectos to resemble a centipede
- Timber-lined roof perches at an angle on… top of Chilean seaside home
- Chengdu Contemporary Art Centre by Zaha …Hadid Architects
- House in Tajiri by Kazunori Fujimoto is …a raw concrete home facing out to sea
- Auditorium Atlantida by Josep Llinas
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories