dRMM has given a former fire station in London’s East End a new lease of life, transforming the Grade-II listed structure into affordable social housing and commercial spaces.
Originally completed in 1913, the three-story structure ceased functioning as a fire station in 1960. After serving as council offices, it lay abandoned and deteriorating for a decade.
dRMM’s restoration prioritised sustainability, adhering to a £2 million budget. The project retained floor plans and reinstated original elements such as the station’s lookout tower and the former engine hall, which has been reimagined as a commercial space.
Project: East Ham Old Fire Station