Kaan Architecten has expanded the Museum Paleis Het Loo in Apeldoorn by concealing 5,000 square metres of visitor areas beneath a public courtyard and fountain.
Built in 1686, the Baroque palace was transformed into a museum in 1984 and required updates and asbestos removal.
Kaan Architecten designed the extension to reflecting the existing palace's layout, preserving the grandeur by situating it underground.
The subterranean space features pale marble and skylights beneath a fountain. Two entrances lead into the extension, connecting to exhibition spaces, offices, and a restaurant.