The "pop-up" project is part of a series of installations at Selfridges to coincide with the exhibition Surreal Things: Surrealism and design, which opened at the V&A museum earlier this week.
Sam Jacob of FAT explains the project: "This is not a shop, or rather it’s not quite a shop. It reworks Marcel Duchamps ‘Mile of String’ exhibition design for the 1942 ‘First Papers of Surrealism’ exhibition in New York.
"Here, the length of string is determined by the distance between Selfridges and the V&A, respectively the Museum and partner for the Surrealism and design exhibition. This as-the-crow-flies measurement has been threaded around the space to create a web like installation.
"The 1.51 miles have been tangled, hooped and slung to form a very different kind of space, a grotto of geography."
>> see also Rolf Sachs at Selfridges
- Puma Social Club by EDIT! and Tereza Kom…árková
- Sofitel Lyon Bellecour by Patrick Norgue…t
- Casa Son Vida by Marcel Wanders
- OMA's temporary auditorium at Selfridges… features mirrored walls and an Op Art floor
- Jeté hair salon by Sides Core
- DURAS Daiba by Chikara Ohno
- Panta Rhei school interior by i29
- Transforming a laundry building by Alain… Hinant and Jean Glibert
- Seoul fashion boutique features yellow w…alls and an Eames bird above the entrance
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories