Australian architecture and design magazine POL Oxygen has been redesigned to coincide with its 21st issue.
Designer Marcus Piper has created a new typeface called FIDO for the magazine.
"It's called FIDO - not after a dog - but because they were the first letters developed," says Piper. "It comes from the geometric concept of the perfect rectangle. I started drawing very boldly based on this rectangle and found the key-lines far more interesting that the bolder shapes."
"Being so thin it helps create depth and scale on a two-dimensional page - by its nature it has to be used at large sizes but is light enough to let through an image without overriding it."
The relaunch issue contains features on Chris Bosse, part of the team designing Beijing's Olympic swimming centre; graphic designer Neville Brody; BMW designer Chris Bangle; and furniture designers El Ultimo Grito.
It also features a die-cut section featuring a global update on design developments, called Breathe (above).
The new issue will be out in Australia in the next week or so, and in Europe next month.
Karim Rashid is guest DJ at the party, which is called No Luxury. Invite below:
- Metamorphose Spoons by Alexa Lixfeld
- Formafantasma and Martino Gamper among s…peakers announced for Milan FOMO talks
- Design world heads for Miami
- Reflective dish of water to be installed… at International Garden Festival in Quebec
- Tinkebell. at Torch Gallery
- Necklace & clothes and Starlight by Homm…in
- Studio Siem & Pabon's Fervent Carpet kil…ls dust mites to relieve asthma sufferers
- Straight Chair and Splay Table by George… Nakashima for Knoll
- Menu begins production of cloche-shaped …lamps by Grethe Meyer
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories