New Designers 07: Light Bulb Packaging is a light designed by University of Brighton graduate Olivia Cheung that attempts to avoid waste by converting packaging into product.
The bulb comes in a laser-cut paper box that converts into a filigree light shade.
Cheung's website has a Flash animation showing how the product works.
The product was shown at the New Designers show in London in June.
Below is some info from Cheung:
University of Brighton: BA (Hons) 3D Design
Olivia has always been interested in art and design and being creative from an early age. Originally from Ontario, Canada, Olivia grew up in Wigan, United Kingdom.
She studied Art Foundation at Winstanley College and was awarded with a Distinction in 2004. She later went to study for a degree in Three Dimensional Design at the University of Brighton.
Her work is about creating unique objects that have a sense of intrigue, which are inspired by popular culture, the environment around her, and finding interesting ways of using materials.
Olivia’s interests lie in the concept of being able to reuse objects, as some objects take on other more interesting uses that become diverse from their original function, such as her Light Bulb Packaging.
Product name: Light Bulb Packaging
Size approximately: (When Light Bulb Packaging is closed) (H)270, (W)100 (D)100mm
Size approximately: (When Light Bulb Packaging is open) (H)200, (W)200, (D)200mm
Production: 2 colour screen print onto vellum paper which is then laser cut.
Target audience: 18 to 40 years, females, students, young professionals
- "Bosnian handicraft meets Scandinavian d…esign" in Monica Förster's range for Zanat
- Postcarden by A Studio for Design
- Oki Sato on Nendo's Growing Vases
- Yen Chen Chang's knitted sensors control… everyday electronic products
- Frost by Front for Stelton
- Drip Grip and XY by Nosigner
- Cut&Paste and HP launch contest for pre-…crowdfunded product campaigns
- Cashmere blanket by Damien Hirst
- Sometimes by Denis Guidone at Dezeen Wat…ch Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories