Gudrun Lilja Gunnlaugsdóttir of Icelandic design group Studiobility has created Lava Flower, an object made of water jet-cut volcanic lava.
Lava Flower is based on Gunnlaugsdóttir's Inner Beauty series of tables, which were part of her graduation project at Design Academy Eindhoven a few years back.
"The lava stone was taken where a new road is being laid and turned into nature/story again," says Gunnlaugsdóttir'. "In Iceland we believe the "hidden" people live in the stones." More about the hidden people - and trolls too - here.
The limited edition Lava Flower, which measures 40cm x 40cm x 40cm, will be shown among other new designs in January at ToolsGalerie in Paris.
- Paralympic design: adaptive rowing equip…ment
- Nader Faghihzadeh of BMW
- The Migration of Mel and Judith by Thoma…s Hillier
- Charlotte Perriand: designer, photograph…er, activist at the Museum für Gestaltung Zürich
- Jet Set by Jaime Hayón
- Dezeen Screen: the Yachiyo metal rugby P…hilippe Malouin
- World Carpets by Marcel Wanders 2
- Field of Light by Bruce Munro
- The Future in The Making: Open Design Ar…chipelago
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories