Gudrun Lilja Gunnlaugsdóttir of Icelandic design group Studiobility has created Lava Flower, an object made of water jet-cut volcanic lava.
Lava Flower is based on Gunnlaugsdóttir's Inner Beauty series of tables, which were part of her graduation project at Design Academy Eindhoven a few years back.
"The lava stone was taken where a new road is being laid and turned into nature/story again," says Gunnlaugsdóttir'. "In Iceland we believe the "hidden" people live in the stones." More about the hidden people - and trolls too - here.
The limited edition Lava Flower, which measures 40cm x 40cm x 40cm, will be shown among other new designs in January at ToolsGalerie in Paris.
- Philippe Starck for Driade
- Design Miami/Basel 2008: Designers of th…e Future winners
- Single Person Cooker by Alex Bradley
- Postal stores for TNT by Merkx + Girod A…rchitecten
- Junya Watanabe folds textiles into mathe…matical patterns for Autumn Winter 2015
- O by Tokujin Yoshioka at Dezeen Watch St…ore
- Suna Broom by Joseph Guerra
- Army of folded carpet suits by Didier Fa…ustino exhibited in Paris
- SWAS tent by Tie Fan
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories