Gudrun Lilja Gunnlaugsdóttir of Icelandic design group Studiobility has created Lava Flower, an object made of water jet-cut volcanic lava.
Lava Flower is based on Gunnlaugsdóttir's Inner Beauty series of tables, which were part of her graduation project at Design Academy Eindhoven a few years back.
"The lava stone was taken where a new road is being laid and turned into nature/story again," says Gunnlaugsdóttir'. "In Iceland we believe the "hidden" people live in the stones." More about the hidden people - and trolls too - here.
The limited edition Lava Flower, which measures 40cm x 40cm x 40cm, will be shown among other new designs in January at ToolsGalerie in Paris.
- Dandilight by Benjamin Hubert
- Outliers by Maskull Lasserre
- Ostrich Pillow Junior by Kawamura-Ganjav…ian
- 3D-printed sculptures create optical ill…usions using the Fibonacci sequence
- "Immersive virtual world" by Gareth Pugh… and Inition installed at Selfridges
- Partrica Urquiola – Purely Porcelain a…t the Design Museum
- Solar Tree by Ross Lovegrove
- Jule Waibel’s pine cone-shaped seats a…re made by steam-folding wool felt
- Posters for Brocante by Demian Conrad
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories