Gudrun Lilja Gunnlaugsdóttir of Icelandic design group Studiobility has created Lava Flower, an object made of water jet-cut volcanic lava.
Lava Flower is based on Gunnlaugsdóttir's Inner Beauty series of tables, which were part of her graduation project at Design Academy Eindhoven a few years back.
"The lava stone was taken where a new road is being laid and turned into nature/story again," says Gunnlaugsdóttir'. "In Iceland we believe the "hidden" people live in the stones." More about the hidden people - and trolls too - here.
The limited edition Lava Flower, which measures 40cm x 40cm x 40cm, will be shown among other new designs in January at ToolsGalerie in Paris.
- COD by Rami Tareef for Gaga & Design
- Tord Boontje presents new Swarovski proj…ect
- The Scent of Crystal by Tokujin Yoshioka
- Form Tea Set made of brass by Tom Dixon
- Design Museum Collection App: kitchenwar…e
- Interview: Wim Crouwel at the Design Mus…eum
- The Superstitious Fund by Shing Tat Chun…g
- Juuri by Sarah Böttger
- Mobile kitchen wins the first NWW Design… Award
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories