Gudrun Lilja Gunnlaugsdóttir of Icelandic design group Studiobility has created Lava Flower, an object made of water jet-cut volcanic lava.
Lava Flower is based on Gunnlaugsdóttir's Inner Beauty series of tables, which were part of her graduation project at Design Academy Eindhoven a few years back.
"The lava stone was taken where a new road is being laid and turned into nature/story again," says Gunnlaugsdóttir'. "In Iceland we believe the "hidden" people live in the stones." More about the hidden people - and trolls too - here.
The limited edition Lava Flower, which measures 40cm x 40cm x 40cm, will be shown among other new designs in January at ToolsGalerie in Paris.
- Big Bloom by Charlie Guda for The Cottag…e Industry
- Furniture that looks like line drawings …by Jinil Park
- Totem by Boym Partners
- Wrong Shop Editions at twentytwentyone
- Dezeen Platform: Clinton Sheldon
- Mini Dada rocking chair by Claudio Coluc…ci
- Docks for Ophelis by Grosch + Meier
- Fabrica and Modern Design Review curate …installations at Ace Hotel Shoreditch
- Yu-Chang Chou develops a reusable packag…ing service for sustainable online shopping
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories