Gudrun Lilja Gunnlaugsdóttir of Icelandic design group Studiobility has created Lava Flower, an object made of water jet-cut volcanic lava.
Lava Flower is based on Gunnlaugsdóttir's Inner Beauty series of tables, which were part of her graduation project at Design Academy Eindhoven a few years back.
"The lava stone was taken where a new road is being laid and turned into nature/story again," says Gunnlaugsdóttir'. "In Iceland we believe the "hidden" people live in the stones." More about the hidden people - and trolls too - here.
The limited edition Lava Flower, which measures 40cm x 40cm x 40cm, will be shown among other new designs in January at ToolsGalerie in Paris.
- Bouroullec brothers design a bent steel …triangle to frame Artek furniture collection
- Hruska by Martin Zampach
- 12 Shapes of Paper by Estonian Academy o…f Arts students
- Patch Project by Beza Projekt
- Bifurcations by Robert Stadler
- Louis Vuitton realises unbuilt Charlotte… Perriand beach house in Miami
- Dezeen Watch Store: VOID V03 by David Er…icsson
- Doshi Levien designs jewel-like mirrors …for Hay
- The PaperVillain by The Functionality
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories