Gudrun Lilja Gunnlaugsdóttir of Icelandic design group Studiobility has created Lava Flower, an object made of water jet-cut volcanic lava.
Lava Flower is based on Gunnlaugsdóttir's Inner Beauty series of tables, which were part of her graduation project at Design Academy Eindhoven a few years back.
"The lava stone was taken where a new road is being laid and turned into nature/story again," says Gunnlaugsdóttir'. "In Iceland we believe the "hidden" people live in the stones." More about the hidden people - and trolls too - here.
The limited edition Lava Flower, which measures 40cm x 40cm x 40cm, will be shown among other new designs in January at ToolsGalerie in Paris.
- I design products "sort of like Franke…nstein" says Tom Kundig
- Neolastic Vases by Studio Sjoerd Jonke…rs
- Waver by Konstantin Grcic for Vitra
- A380 by Priestmangoode for Lufthansa
- Guarded Thoughts by Ron Arad
- Assemblage 2 by Toogood at Natura Mort…a
- B&B Italia in Milan
- Fish Bowls by Roger Arquer
- Cityscape by Arne Quinze update
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories