Gudrun Lilja Gunnlaugsdóttir of Icelandic design group Studiobility has created Lava Flower, an object made of water jet-cut volcanic lava.
Lava Flower is based on Gunnlaugsdóttir's Inner Beauty series of tables, which were part of her graduation project at Design Academy Eindhoven a few years back.
"The lava stone was taken where a new road is being laid and turned into nature/story again," says Gunnlaugsdóttir'. "In Iceland we believe the "hidden" people live in the stones." More about the hidden people - and trolls too - here.
The limited edition Lava Flower, which measures 40cm x 40cm x 40cm, will be shown among other new designs in January at ToolsGalerie in Paris.
- Vote for your favourite design in the Bo…mbay Sapphire Designer Glass Competition
- Campana Brothers at the V&A
- Matali Crasset creates faceted presentat…ion cases from concrete
- Marie Cunliffe sculpts metal fabrics for… graduate fashion collection
- POV Candleholder by Note Design Studio f…or Menu
- The Migration of Mel and Judith by Thoma…s Hillier
- 4D Glass by Jonathan Krawczuk
- Re-Imagined Chair by Studiomama for the …Stepney Green Design Collection
- Please Kill Me by Sibling
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories