Gudrun Lilja Gunnlaugsdóttir of Icelandic design group Studiobility has created Lava Flower, an object made of water jet-cut volcanic lava.
Lava Flower is based on Gunnlaugsdóttir's Inner Beauty series of tables, which were part of her graduation project at Design Academy Eindhoven a few years back.
"The lava stone was taken where a new road is being laid and turned into nature/story again," says Gunnlaugsdóttir'. "In Iceland we believe the "hidden" people live in the stones." More about the hidden people - and trolls too - here.
The limited edition Lava Flower, which measures 40cm x 40cm x 40cm, will be shown among other new designs in January at ToolsGalerie in Paris.
- [d3] contest winners at IMM Cologne 2009
- Gothic Chair by Studio Job for Moooi
- Chocolate pencils by Nendo
- Lovebird tables by Yuki Matsumoto
- Pill Range by Alexander Lotersztain for …Derlot Editions
- Bags by Maam Project
- Rewrite by GamFratesi for Ligne Roset
- Balcon collection by Inga Sempé for Mou…stache
- René Barba creates lollipop-shaped lamp… from paper-like fabric for Ligne Roset
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories