It's Klein Dytham day on Dezeen, and here's another of the Tokyo-based architects' new projects: a commercial building in Naha, Okinawa, called R3 Ukishima.
The building contains Ai Cafe 54, a cafe dedicated to Japanese female golfing sensation Ai Miyazato, plus several boutiques.
Photos are by Daici Ano. Here's some text from KDA:
Ai Cafe, a four unit commercial building is located just off Kokusai Dori, the main tourist street in Naha, capital of Okinawa.
It is here in Ukishima Dori that many trendy boutiques and galleries are located, here is where Okinwawa's tradition and young culture meet.
The site proposed a major challenge: a long street frontage facing the side of a bland convenience store onto which all 4 retail units had to face including the cafe.
The response became the key element of the building: a 25m long, 5m high perforated concrete block screen - ubiquitous to Okinawa - which encloses a balcony access to the 2nd floor while screening off the convenience store, electriclty and telephone wires running along the street.
The screen with its pixelated pink orchid pattern creates an internal world for the cafe while letting the air and light into the building.
- House in Koamicho by Suppose Design Offi…ce
- Administration Curricular Building Liceo… María Auxiliadora by Surco Studio
- Hot Links Duplex by Atelier Hitoshi Abe …for Make it Right
- Tom Kundig’s Delta Shelter
- Shrine of the Virgin of La Antigua by Ot…xotorena Arquitectos
- World Architecture Festival 2012: Media-…ICT by Cloud 9
- ST-House by PANDA
- Frieze Art Fair Pavilions by Carmody Gro…arke
- Ideas wanted for a more cycle-friendly L…ondon
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories