It's Klein Dytham day on Dezeen, and here's another of the Tokyo-based architects' new projects: a commercial building in Naha, Okinawa, called R3 Ukishima.
The building contains Ai Cafe 54, a cafe dedicated to Japanese female golfing sensation Ai Miyazato, plus several boutiques.
Photos are by Daici Ano. Here's some text from KDA:
Ai Cafe, a four unit commercial building is located just off Kokusai Dori, the main tourist street in Naha, capital of Okinawa.
It is here in Ukishima Dori that many trendy boutiques and galleries are located, here is where Okinwawa's tradition and young culture meet.
The site proposed a major challenge: a long street frontage facing the side of a bland convenience store onto which all 4 retail units had to face including the cafe.
The response became the key element of the building: a 25m long, 5m high perforated concrete block screen - ubiquitous to Okinawa - which encloses a balcony access to the 2nd floor while screening off the convenience store, electriclty and telephone wires running along the street.
The screen with its pixelated pink orchid pattern creates an internal world for the cafe while letting the air and light into the building.
- Nunnmps by Cheungvogl
- Koya No Sumika by mA-style Architects
- Centro Infantil del Mercado by Miquel Ma…riné Núñez and César Rueda Boné
- ESGE Ecole Secondaire de Genolierby ipas
- "If China doesn't go green it's the end …of the world" - Li Xiaodong on Liyuan Library
- House in Tróia by Jorge Mealha Arquitec…to
- Maggie’s Nottingham by CZWG and Paul S…mith photographed by Michael Whelan
- National Grand Theatre in Beijing by Pau…l Andreu
- West Kowloon Cultural District by Foster… + Partners
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories