Built in the memory of murdered architecture student Stephen Lawrence, the centre is dedicated to improving opportunities for young black people in south London.
Photos are © Lyndon Douglas.
Here's some info from the architects:
Stephen Lawrence Centre —Educational Centre
Adjaye Associates won the invited competition to design the Stephen Lawrence Centre. The centre is both a memorial and a place of inspiration in honour of Stephen Lawrence, the architectural student murdered in 1993.
The Stephen Lawrence Centre is located in Brookmill Road, Lewisham and opened in autumn 2007. It offers services to the general population of the Lewisham area but has a unique contribution to make in relation to improving the life chances of black Caribbean and African young people. The Centre works closely with partners in the area to tackle under achievement and to increase young people’s motivation to embrace education and overcome the barriers of the fulfillment of their potential in life.
The centre comprises meeting rooms, classrooms, IT labs, offices and exhibition space. Highlights of the centre’s programming activities include their successful mentoring programme, the Community Empowerment Education Programme and the Creative Arts Laboratory, a seperate adjacent building containing studios equipped with equipment for recording, video editing, music, mixing and local broadcasting.
Total contract value £4m (target and actual)
The Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust
The Stephen Lawrence Centre
39 Brookmill Road
London SE8 4HU
Architect – Adjaye Associates
Project Manager – Turner and Townsend
Quantity Surveyor – Turner and Townsend
Structural Engineer – Price Myers
Mechanical Engineer – Faber Maunsell
- Cedar-clad villa by Naka Studio shelters… a huge terrace beneath its roof
- Peruri 88 by MVRDV, Jerde and Arup
- Zaha Hadid at the Serpentine Gallery
- Perforated shutters fold back to reveal …apartments at Sucre 4444 by Esteban-Tannenbaum
- Funeral Chapel in Ingelheim Frei-Weinhei…m by Bayer & Strobel Architekten
- National Art Museum of China competition… entry by Gehry Partners
- House of Stone by John Pawson
- Oak walkway by Levitate inserted into ru…ined castle
- Black Maria by Richard Wentworth and GRU…PPE
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories