Architects Fashion Architecture Taste (FAT) have won a competition to design a library and nursery at Walsall, England.
Here's the announcement from the architects:
Fat have one a RIBA competition to design a new Library and nursery in Bentley a suburb of Walsall in the West Midlands. The scheme aims to create a new civic landmark.
The library and study centre are low-rise buildings each with vertical towers that relate to the tower of the nearby Emmanuel Church and frame views of the existing Cairn at the top of a banked landscape behind the site.
The buildings exterior material is proposed as brick but given a twist so that it is arranged to look like books sitting on stone or concrete ‘ shelves’. The bricks are different colours and are arranged to create a polychromatic effect which graduates over the librarys facade.
According to the judges, FAT's scheme – the practice's first public building – 'responded most closely to the stakeholders' aspirations' and 'would set a design benchmark for future developments in Bentley'.
- Float House by Morphosis for Make it Rig…ht
- Warehouse by Shinichi Ogawa & Associates
- House Extension in Dublin by GKMP Archit…ects
- Modular CALTROPe structure reduces impac…t of rising sea levels by cultivating mangrove forests
- Maracanã House by Terra e Tuma
- 13 crazy hotel designs
- Dresden Museum of Military History by Da…niel Libeskind - more images
- Health Sciences Faculty in Zaragoza by T…aller Básico de Arquitectura
- Office amenities building has dragon-lik…e scales
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories