Architects Fashion Architecture Taste (FAT) have won a competition to design a library and nursery at Walsall, England.
Here's the announcement from the architects:
Fat have one a RIBA competition to design a new Library and nursery in Bentley a suburb of Walsall in the West Midlands. The scheme aims to create a new civic landmark.
The library and study centre are low-rise buildings each with vertical towers that relate to the tower of the nearby Emmanuel Church and frame views of the existing Cairn at the top of a banked landscape behind the site.
The buildings exterior material is proposed as brick but given a twist so that it is arranged to look like books sitting on stone or concrete ‘ shelves’. The bricks are different colours and are arranged to create a polychromatic effect which graduates over the librarys facade.
According to the judges, FAT's scheme – the practice's first public building – 'responded most closely to the stakeholders' aspirations' and 'would set a design benchmark for future developments in Bentley'.
- Drones can "weave structures in space in… just a few minutes"
- Wolveridge Architects adds timber-clad e…xtension to Northcote Residence
- Abandoned concrete bunker converted into… a green power plant by IBA Hamburg
- Groninger Museum renovation by Studio Jo…b, Maarten Baas and Jaime Hayón
- The Corten House by DMOA architecten is …surrounded by weathered steel fins
- 2+2 Houses by Tank Architectes
- The William O. Lockridge/Bellevue Librar…y by Adjaye Associates
- Hill End Ecohouse by Riddel Architecture
- House SL by [tp3] architekten
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories