Architects Fashion Architecture Taste (FAT) have won a competition to design a library and nursery at Walsall, England.
Here's the announcement from the architects:
Fat have one a RIBA competition to design a new Library and nursery in Bentley a suburb of Walsall in the West Midlands. The scheme aims to create a new civic landmark.
The library and study centre are low-rise buildings each with vertical towers that relate to the tower of the nearby Emmanuel Church and frame views of the existing Cairn at the top of a banked landscape behind the site.
The buildings exterior material is proposed as brick but given a twist so that it is arranged to look like books sitting on stone or concrete ‘ shelves’. The bricks are different colours and are arranged to create a polychromatic effect which graduates over the librarys facade.
According to the judges, FAT's scheme – the practice's first public building – 'responded most closely to the stakeholders' aspirations' and 'would set a design benchmark for future developments in Bentley'.
- Govaert & Vanhoutte creates concrete and… glass headquarters for door manufacturer Rob Systems
- Discovery by GPAC
- Vanke Triple V Gallery by Ministry of De…sign
- Alventosa Morell slots a four-storey hou…se between two blocks in Barcelona
- Cabanas no Rio by Aires Mateus
- Yang Zhao completes fishermen's pavilion… for Toyo Ito's post-tsunami reconstruction project
- The Art of Building 2012 photography com…petition finalists
- OMA debate live from the Barbican Art Ga…llery
- Party Wall by CODA at MoMA PS1
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories