Architects Fashion Architecture Taste (FAT) have won a competition to design a library and nursery at Walsall, England.
Here's the announcement from the architects:
Fat have one a RIBA competition to design a new Library and nursery in Bentley a suburb of Walsall in the West Midlands. The scheme aims to create a new civic landmark.
The library and study centre are low-rise buildings each with vertical towers that relate to the tower of the nearby Emmanuel Church and frame views of the existing Cairn at the top of a banked landscape behind the site.
The buildings exterior material is proposed as brick but given a twist so that it is arranged to look like books sitting on stone or concrete ‘ shelves’. The bricks are different colours and are arranged to create a polychromatic effect which graduates over the librarys facade.
According to the judges, FAT's scheme – the practice's first public building – 'responded most closely to the stakeholders' aspirations' and 'would set a design benchmark for future developments in Bentley'.
- Burnham Pavilion by Zaha Hadid Architect…s
- House K by Hiroyuki Shinozaki Architects
- UK's "first amphibious house" can float …on floodwater like a boat in a dock
- House for a photographer by Peter Pichle…r
- Marne-la-Vallée Central University Libr…ary by Beckmann-N'Thépé Architectes
- Sydney garden pavilion by AR-MA built fr…om thousands of components
- Voivodeship Police Headquarters by Pozna…ń Projekt and mode:lina architekci
- Nordpark Cable Railway by Zaha Hadid Arc…hitects
- Atelier in Ushimado by Tezuka Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories