Chinese architect Ma Yansong of MAD has created a public seating concept called Fungus as part of a public art project at the Zhangjiang business park in Pudong, Shanghai.
The seating is made up of interlocking modules and is inspired by the growth of fungus clusters.
Here's a bit of text from MAD:
MAD, the young leading Chinese architecture design office, recently launched its Fungus chairs in Living Zhangjiang 2007, the large-scale public art project organized by Zhangjiang Hi-tech Park and the local government of Pudong District, Shanghai, China.
These public furnitures designed by Ma Yansong, founder of MAD office, represents the basic organic form that could create infinite combinations. They scatter in the urban public space as mushroom made of modern materials.
Looking into the urban environment from the biological point of view, the MAD fungi are the benign bacteria that contribute to the sound and reasonable development of the social culture.
- Interactive soft toys let babies post to… Facebook
- Kristina Dam designs pale oak furniture …to incorporate plants
- Bandit by Sebastian Bergne
- Batucada collection by Jahara Studio
- Collection One by hundredstensunits
- The SOL Dome by Loop.pH
- Kinetic Rain by ART+COM
- The Skullmate by Luke Twigger
- SEAM roto-moulded lighting by Annika Fry…e
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories