The interior features exposed tubes added to the existing plumbing pipes, sprinkler system and electrical ducts of the space, on the ground floor of a new residential building.
See Mizu Spa by Stanley Saitowitz in our earlier story.
Here's some text from the architects:
Conduit Restaurant emerged from the found circumstances. The ground floor commercial space in a new residential building had a low ceiling and a tangled maze of plumbing, sprinkler and electrical conduits serving the residences above.
To cover these pipes would have further reduced the space. Instead, even more conduits were layered over the existing to counteract and remediate the situation.
At the entry is a long fireplace. Behind, table seating fills the room. A series of conduit screens in galvanized or copper color divide the tables. On the right is an open bar made of stacked bars of conduit. Glass shelves support the bottles. The other end is banquet seating on a bench, hovering in light, divided into a series of conduit alcoves.
At the end of the room another bar frames the open kitchen, a well-lit stage for the cooks. Seating at this bar allows patrons to watch the performance close up. The floor has black granite paths with a large mat that locates the black wood laminate tables.
Behind the kitchen is a glass and conduit-enclosed cellar and private dining room. Wine is stored in a perforated black wood wall. Beyond are the bathroom enclosures of entirely etched glass, with a continuous trough sink and long mirror above.
The atmosphere is sleek and hip, as well as rich and warm. Conduit disproves the old adage by making a silk purse from a sow’s ear.
- Generator Berlin Mitte hostel by Ester B…ruzkus with Anwar Mekhayech and Mark Asipowicz
- Arnsdorf temporary concept store by Edwa…rds Moore
- Tiny Madrid apartment by MYCC with rooms… connected by a ladder
- Reykjavík Lights Hotel by TARK and HAF …for Keahotels
- Maggie’s Centre by Rogers Stirk Harbou…r + Partners wins Stirling Prize
- KK Outlet by Fashion Architecture Taste
- Lim Code by Isolation Unit
- Casa by 2260mm Architects
- Tai & Architectural Design keeps it simp…le for Taipei apartment interior
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories