The house is one of 100 private residences, all designed by different architects selected by Herzog & de Meuron for the Ordos 100 project, which is masterplanned by artist Ai Wei Wei.
EBV's design aims to "create a space that absorbs and intensifies the character of the place and the surrounding elements."
The following information is from Estudio Barozzi Veiga:
Ordos, Inner Mongolia, China
It was our challenge in this project to find an original architectural expression for the program, which is compatible with the beauty of the site and the cinematologic elements.
Our proposal intends to translate this idea of essence and pureness present in the context, in the composition of the project. It will create a space that absorbs and intensifies the character of the place and the surrounding elements.
In contrast with the rough open space of the surrounding. The plan of the house is a pure form, a perfect square. The building appears like a monolithic cube, raised from the earth as an archaic stone. This sensible and pure building is defined by two essential elements: a glazed patio and an expressive roof.
This patio refers to the traditional Chinese houses, organised around a patio. At the same time, it allows the house to change its inner climate from winter to summer and offers the possibility to create a complex interior world with different visual and spatial relations.
The roof defines the house as the solidification of a traditional nomadic tent, an element that covers, protects and marks the place.
The result is an introverted cube characterised by its expressive roof. In this way, living in the interior is associated with the sensation of being under a tent, a protected skin, an extended sail.
- Rebirth by Arne Quinze
- Carnivan House, Fethard on Sea by Aughey… O'Flaherty Architects
- MOSS office for working from home by Vic…tor Vetterlein
- Louvre Lens by SANAA and Imrey Culbert p…hotographed by Julien Lanoo
- Skeletal pavilion shaped like a lock kee…per's cottage pops up in London's Olympic Park
- Kjellgren Kaminsky clads Öijared Hotel …in timber strips from the nearby forest
- Casa Funchal 05 by Paulo David
- Slip House by Carl Turner Architects
- Messner Mountain Museum Corones by Zaha …Hadid Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories