The house is one of 100 private residences, all designed by different architects selected by Herzog & de Meuron for the project, which is masterplanned by artist Ai Wei Wei. See designs for Ordos 100 by Luca Selva Architects and Estudio Barozzi Veiga in our earlier stories.
The following is from JDS:
JDS_ORDOS BIG BROTHER HOUSE
A house of 1000 m2 can almost be populated rather than inhabited to the least it can entertain quite a party! We have designed a house around the principle of big brother, a place where one can watch and be watched. A house where the circulation is gathered into an atrium of hedonistic leisure and excess, an unavoidable place of pleasure control, that distributes its visitors and party goers in the confines of protected rooms.
Each room flanked on this panopticon atrium is equipped of a private terrace, or dune, that continues the idea of the original desert over the house. Similarly the desert is trapped inside the atrium to form an oasis of sand.
Climatically the house functions like an igloo: the outer rooms act as a layer of extra protection to the indoor atrium space.
The larger space allows for natural ventilation both of itself and of each individual room.
The programmatic layout allows for maximum publicity on the 2 primary levels while the top floor is dedicated to the master bedroom and attendance, turning it almost into an apartment within the house.
- Housing in La Courrouze by Philippe Gaze…au
- Studio Weave adds colourful herringbone …decking to London College of Fashion roof garden
- Chips by Alsop Architects
- Warm Architects adds cast concrete stair…case to Garcia's House in Cancún
- The Round Tower by De Matos Ryan
- Serpentine Gallery Pavilion by SANAA pho…tographed by Iwan Baan
- Wolveridge Architects adds timber-clad e…xtension to Northcote Residence
- Movie: Wilkinson Eyre Architects on winn…ing World Building of the Year
- Hollow concrete blocks form a textured f…rontage for Wuyang Architecture's student shower block
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories