The 40-storey building is adjacent to the China Central Television Headquarters (see our earlier story).
The almost-complete building was due to open this May and contain a hotel, theatre and studios. It was used for the 2008 Olympics but due to open officially later this year.
The structure was set on fire by stray fireworks fired by revellers celebrating Chinese New Year.
- "An underdose of utopia can be as danger…ous as an overdose" - Reinier de Graaf
- Diamond Arena by Atelier 11
- Office with a sawtooth roof pays homa…ge to a Dutch mill by Gerrit Rietveld
- NE apartment by Yuji Nakae, Akiyoshi Tak…agi and Hirofumi Ohno
- Flowerbed Hotel by MVRDV
- Bar Nestlé by Fulguro at Montreux Jazz …Festival
- Casa K in São Paulo by Studio Arthur Ca…sas
- AOR's floating Viewpoint offers glimpses… of London's canal-side wildlife
- Equestrian centre on Australia's south c…oast features a curving rammed-earth wall
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories