In the second of four competitions celebrating publisher Thames & Hudson's 60th anniversary this month, we're giving readers the chance to win five copies of XS Extreme by Phyllis Richardson.
The book presents more than forty small structures built in challenging locations through text, plans, drawings and photographs.
This competition has now closed.
Five winners will be selected at random and notified by email. Winners’ names will be published in a future edition of our Dezeenmail newsletter and at the bottom of this page.
See all our Thames & Hudson birthday competitions here.
Here's some more information from Thames & Hudson:
The third book in the highly successful XS series, XS Extreme considers buildings at the edge of possibility. Sited in remote locations, built to withstand wild climatic conditions, or conceptually daring or provocative, all the structures are original, innovative and instructive. Over forty projects are presented through accessible, witty texts, with plans, drawings and photographs. A reference section gives architect and project information. Like its precedessors, XS Extreme offers striking new ideas at a human scale that will inspire anyone keen to improve the world we build around ourselves.
- New and Improved: innovative materials and structural solutions
- Art and Craft: when structure becomes sculpture
- Scenic Routes: huts, pods and lookouts in remote landscapes
- Off the Map: extreme climates and sites, and mobile structures
- Radical Urban: small interventions that redefine the streetscape
Key Sales Information
- The third book in the series that celebrates small, ingenious structures.
- Features over for ty structures, largely created by young or little-known practices, which explore new territories in architecture and design, invite contemplation or whose presence simply delight.
- Taps into the new socially aware ethos creeping into all facets of design, whether spurred on by climate change, social equality or economic conditions.
- XS and XS Green are two of the most successful design books published in recent years, with worldwide sales exceeding 150,000 copies.
Phyllis Richardson is the author of numerous books on interiors and architecture, including XS: Big Ideas, Small Buildings, XS Green, Contemporary Natural, Designed for Kids and the London and Barcelona editions of the StyleCity travel series.
Size: 18.0 x 17.0cm
Illustrations: c .330 illustrations
ISBN 978 0 500 342510
Congratulations to the winners! Shermin Wu in Singapore, Bernhard Luthringshausen in Austria, Ziad Haddad in Canada, and Anna Kiraly and Shunsuke Hashizume in the USA all won copies.