Estonian architects Urmas Muru and Peeter Pere have designed a shelter for cooking outdoors at Korvamäe farm in Estonia.
The shelter has a timber frame covered in sheet material, punctured by circular holes in two facades.
"As Estonian weather is not famous for its warmth and sunshine it has become popular to have summer parties at so-called summer kitchens and shelters," explains Pere.
"It is actually contemporary version of the old farmhouse tradition to cook outdoors in summer not only for the family and for the cattle as well," he continues.
Here's some more information from the architects:
Summer kitchen in Korvamäe, Estonia
(Shelter for outdoor activity)
Korvamäe is a relatively traditional South-Estonian farm. It has dwelling,a maintenance building and a pond with a sauna which was built 10 years ago.
Our initial task was to plan an pavilion near the fireplace. Apparently we discovered during the process that the location of the fireplace had already been misplaced. Instead of the fireplace becoming the focus of social life, it was the sauna and pond that had claimed that place. Therefore the new outdoor cookhouse was to be built there. As the sauna was constructed as an integral object, we therefore decided to design the kitchen somewhat different.
At first we wanted to hide the kitchen inside the earth, but we didn’t find a proper solution. The shaping of the earth lead us to a minimalistic sculpture. We preserved the dynamics and homogeneity of the ground, but we presented it as a geometrical object.
Because of the client's wish to have an easily constructable building made of light materials, we chose wooden framework as our construction element and waterproof plywood for rendering as it makes the framework more rigid. The outdoor kitchen is a simple, yet emotional building that brings people joy.
- Black-stained house by Dualchas Archit…ects completed on the coastline of a Scottish island
- Edison Residence student housing by Ka…nva is clad with engraved concrete panels
- House in Sagamino by Hiroyuki Tanaka A…rchitects
- Surface Design creates verdant terrace…s for Butterfly House in San Francisco
- DRMM's Comet Street art studio draws i…n daylight through a sky-facing window
- NP House in Vila Nova de Famalicão by… NOARQ
- Cloud City by Studio Lindfors
- Glamping tents shaped like worms and d…oughnuts by ArchiWorkshop
- Villa Vauban extension by Philippe Sch…mit
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories