Entitled Fuck You and the Horse You Rode in On, the piece features a stuffed Victorian african grey crowned crane decorated with a saddle, gold-plated silver and pearls.
The piece features in the exhibition Small Show Huge Talent, which continues until 16 July.
See more work by McCallum in our previous story.
Here's a little text from McCallum:
'Fuck You and the Horse You Rode in On' (2009)
Victorian African Grey Crowned taxidermy crane
leather, suede, rabbit fur
18ct gold plate sterling silver, pearls
With this piece McCallum questions the Victorians’ relationship with exoticism and their attempt both to fetishise it and domesticate it. The title’s deliberate coarseness sits as uneasily with the stereotype of refined Victorian taste as does the saddle on the crane’s back. This beautiful, rare, bird is the perfect vehicle to displays the artist’s exquisite craftsmanship and choice of luxurious, even ostentatious materials.
- Bookinist by Nils Holger Moormann
- Chidori Furniture by Kengo Kuma and Asso…ciates
- D&A modular seating system by Assaf Isra…el
- Pinch&Grind by Roger Arquer for Royal VK…B
- Arik Levy's colourful chairs for TON hav…e legs that split in two
- Movie: Erwan Bouroullec on his favourite… project ever at Clerkenwell Design Week
- Bok by Sander Bokkinga
- Wood Work by Karen Ryan
- Slow White by Bo Reudler - new pieces
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories