Entitled Fuck You and the Horse You Rode in On, the piece features a stuffed Victorian african grey crowned crane decorated with a saddle, gold-plated silver and pearls.
The piece features in the exhibition Small Show Huge Talent, which continues until 16 July.
See more work by McCallum in our previous story.
Here's a little text from McCallum:
'Fuck You and the Horse You Rode in On' (2009)
Victorian African Grey Crowned taxidermy crane
leather, suede, rabbit fur
18ct gold plate sterling silver, pearls
With this piece McCallum questions the Victorians’ relationship with exoticism and their attempt both to fetishise it and domesticate it. The title’s deliberate coarseness sits as uneasily with the stereotype of refined Victorian taste as does the saddle on the crane’s back. This beautiful, rare, bird is the perfect vehicle to displays the artist’s exquisite craftsmanship and choice of luxurious, even ostentatious materials.
- Yuki Yoshikawa accentuates Grain Chair w…ith painted patterns
- Story Vases by Front
- Dior's feminine haute couture fashion sh…ow set against white orchids
- Bird chair by Jungmo Yang
- Arena Homme + by Neville Brody
- Corso restaurant by Robert Stadler
- MEJD Studio slices traditional objects i…n half to create contemporary lighting
- Handlebar Candlesticks by Yen-Wen Tseng
- Prater Chair by Marco Dessí
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories