Entitled Fuck You and the Horse You Rode in On, the piece features a stuffed Victorian african grey crowned crane decorated with a saddle, gold-plated silver and pearls.
The piece features in the exhibition Small Show Huge Talent, which continues until 16 July.
See more work by McCallum in our previous story.
Here's a little text from McCallum:
'Fuck You and the Horse You Rode in On' (2009)
Victorian African Grey Crowned taxidermy crane
leather, suede, rabbit fur
18ct gold plate sterling silver, pearls
With this piece McCallum questions the Victorians’ relationship with exoticism and their attempt both to fetishise it and domesticate it. The title’s deliberate coarseness sits as uneasily with the stereotype of refined Victorian taste as does the saddle on the crane’s back. This beautiful, rare, bird is the perfect vehicle to displays the artist’s exquisite craftsmanship and choice of luxurious, even ostentatious materials.
- Giant Cubebot by David Weeks for Quinz…e & Milanand Areaware at MOST
- Help! I Want to Save a Life by Graham …Douglas for Help Remedies and DKMS
- KitRadio by Samuel Rhoads-Clarke
- Mischer'Traxler's flute for Perrier-Jo…uët "makes champagne bubble at a certain spot"
- Zaha Hadid creates latticed gold jewel…lery for Caspita
- Sonja Rohleder animates natural disast…ers for Keimzeit music video
- Crockery by Max Lamb for 1882 Ltd.
- Ovo high chair by CuldeSac
- Clouds by Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories