Entitled Fuck You and the Horse You Rode in On, the piece features a stuffed Victorian african grey crowned crane decorated with a saddle, gold-plated silver and pearls.
The piece features in the exhibition Small Show Huge Talent, which continues until 16 July.
See more work by McCallum in our previous story.
Here's a little text from McCallum:
'Fuck You and the Horse You Rode in On' (2009)
Victorian African Grey Crowned taxidermy crane
leather, suede, rabbit fur
18ct gold plate sterling silver, pearls
With this piece McCallum questions the Victorians’ relationship with exoticism and their attempt both to fetishise it and domesticate it. The title’s deliberate coarseness sits as uneasily with the stereotype of refined Victorian taste as does the saddle on the crane’s back. This beautiful, rare, bird is the perfect vehicle to displays the artist’s exquisite craftsmanship and choice of luxurious, even ostentatious materials.
- Taxi-Dermy Lenticular Prints by Joe Jin
- VOID V03 alarm by David Ericsson at Deze…en Watch Store
- "We take a very holistic approach to des…ign" - Bandar Antabi of Jawbone
- Lift by Staffan Holm for One Nordic
- Heads or Tails by Nendo
- Das Haus by Luca Nichetto
- Piet Hein Eek uses offcuts from his scra…p wood furniture to make Waste Waste 40x40
- Designed in Hackney: The Floating Cinema… by Studio Weave
- Tom Dixon Shop by Studio Toogood
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories