Thai graduate designer Worapong Manupipatpong has created an installation that is halfway between furniture and architecture.
The two-level, wooden structures have small ladders leading to their upper platforms and form various places to sit.
Manupipatpong built the structures for his graduation project while studying at Konstfack University College of Arts, Crafts and Design in Sweden.
"This project is about investigation between the notion of architecture and furniture design," says the designer. "I try to explore another area, where this object is somewhere between these two category, architecture and furniture design."
Here's some text from Manupipatpong:
XS architecture vs XL furniture
The scale in-between
The manipulation of space, form, colour, texture and issues about material and gravity are common to architecture and furniture. For my degree project, I examine the three-dimensional territories of architecture and furniture. I investigate how the notion of architecture can influence furniture design, or the other way around.
With my project, I don’t want to cross the border between the two disciplines, architect and designer, but rather seek the area in-between the two territories, where it can be defined neither as architecture nor as furniture design.
I’m intrigued by particular spaces and things when they can’t be classified exactly; something in-between. It leaves me with curiosity, inspiration and space for imagination. My project can be seen as something in-between because it is hard to define.
Whether it is extra small architecture or an extra large piece of furniture, it is somewhere in-between these aspects of scale and function.
MFA, Konstfack, 2009
- Dezeen Platform: Jólan van der Wiel
- Ascent by Edward Barber and Jay Osgerby …at Haunch of Venison
- Dezeentalks at [D3] Design Talents: Gabr…ielle Ammann
- Formafantasma experiment with lava to cr…eate furniture collection
- Binbags by Studio Toogood at The Tempori…um
- M.A.S.S.A.S. by Patricia Urquiola for Mo…roso
- French designers hack a 3D printer to ma…ke a tattooing machine
- Transformation and Distribution Centre f…or Abandoned Household Items by Joost Gehem
- Colo dishwasher by Peter Schwartz and He…lene Steiner
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories