Thai graduate designer Worapong Manupipatpong has created an installation that is halfway between furniture and architecture.
The two-level, wooden structures have small ladders leading to their upper platforms and form various places to sit.
Manupipatpong built the structures for his graduation project while studying at Konstfack University College of Arts, Crafts and Design in Sweden.
"This project is about investigation between the notion of architecture and furniture design," says the designer. "I try to explore another area, where this object is somewhere between these two category, architecture and furniture design."
Here's some text from Manupipatpong:
XS architecture vs XL furniture
The scale in-between
The manipulation of space, form, colour, texture and issues about material and gravity are common to architecture and furniture. For my degree project, I examine the three-dimensional territories of architecture and furniture. I investigate how the notion of architecture can influence furniture design, or the other way around.
With my project, I don’t want to cross the border between the two disciplines, architect and designer, but rather seek the area in-between the two territories, where it can be defined neither as architecture nor as furniture design.
I’m intrigued by particular spaces and things when they can’t be classified exactly; something in-between. It leaves me with curiosity, inspiration and space for imagination. My project can be seen as something in-between because it is hard to define.
Whether it is extra small architecture or an extra large piece of furniture, it is somewhere in-between these aspects of scale and function.
MFA, Konstfack, 2009
- David Shrigley creates tableware range f…or London restaurant Sketch
- Ripple effect captured in glass-domed li…ghting by Poetic Lab
- Jet Set by Jaime Hayón for Bisazza
- 10 designs for the future of space trave…l
- Schemata Architects builds Vitra's Salon…e stand from wooden pallets
- Fiona O'Neill hand-paints dresses for Ce…ntral Saint Martins fashion show
- Rewrite by GamFratesi for Ligne Roset
- Zanotta launches "shelves on legs" by Fr…ank Rettenbacher
- Haze Series in white, grey and navy by W…onmin Park
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories