Amsterdam architects O+A have completed an extension to a villa near Eindhoven in the Netherlands.
The upper story houses a glazed conference room, with a wood-clad garage below.
Photographs are by O+A.
Here's some more information from O+A:
O+A was commissioned by a private client to design the addition to a detached villa.
The project brief entailed the design of a carport for two cars and a conference space.
The villa, designed and built in the 1970s, has an extroverted addition which was completed in the 1990s.
In avoiding a cacophony of material and form, the villa was taken as a starting point for this latest addition.
The architectural ambition is especially evident beneath this roof, where the functions ‘conferencing’ and ‘parking’ form two intersecting L-shaped volumes.
The climatised conference space is enclosed with minimally detailed, structural glazing.
The carport is not climatised and is enclosed with timber boards, which seamlessly continue into the ceiling- and wall finishing.
Beneath the roof, an interesting dialogue arises between material and space.
The project was completed in July 2009.
An aspect that sets this commission apart is that O+A has assumed the roles of both chief contractor and glass engineer.
- El Greco Museum restoration and extens…ion by Pardo + Tapia Arquitectos
- OMA and Foster to work alongside Holly…wood duo on Miami Beach
- Sussex House by Wilkinson King Archite…cts boasts cedar-clad walls and a ridged roof
- Rattan Tunnel at Bacanalia by Natalia …Ortega Gámez and Jose Thén
- Michael Schumacher World Champion Towe…r by LAVA
- Eco-pods by Howeler + Yoon Architectur…eand Squared Design Lab
- UK Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 by T…homas Heatherwick
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: David Adja…ye
- MIT researchers to 3D print a pavilion… by imitating silkworms
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories