A grey heron, tawny owl and blackbird were stuffed without plumage then wrapped in fabric and mounted on oak.
The pieces, called Avifauna, will be on sale at an auction of objects selected by trend forecaster Li Edelkoort.
Here's some text from the designers:
Avifauna: Grey Heron, Tawny Owl and Blackbird - Maarten Kolk & Guus Kusters
Avifauna will be part of next weeks auction ‘Wish List – Li Edelkoort’ at Pierre Bergé & Associés, Brussels.
‘Avifauna’ is about bringing two common worlds we love together, nature and textile. We’ve started to materialize the beauty, shape and language of form that we see in animals and what’s better to start this search than to mold on the animal itself. The ‘Dutch’ Grey Heron, Tawny owl and Blackbird were stuffed without their plumage and used as dummies to design on.
Right now we’re working on designing still animals out of paper. We’re trying to find new shapes, techniques and textures from the motion of flying owls, fighting hares, walking storks and other animals.
The Grey Heron, Tawny Owl and Blackbird were first developed for Janice Blackburn’s ‘Small Show Huge Talent’ earlier this year. None of the animals were killed for this project.
Grey Heron, Tawny Owl, Blackbird
Maarten Kolk & Guus Kusters
Oak wood, bestial materials, cotton, wool
Edition of 25
maarten kolk & guus kusters
- G Pod by Victor Vetterlein
- Patricia Urquiola at Belgrade Design Wee…k
- Twin'Z concept car by Ross Lovegrove for… Renault
- Kotaro Horiuchi creates human Whac-A-Mol…e with membrane installation
- Folding Techniques for Designers: basic …pleats
- Sometimes by Denis Guidone at Dezeen Wat…ch Store
- Wiel Arets for Alessi
- One laptop per artist: OLPC charity auct…ion
- "We have created a new type of water" - …Philippe Starck
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories