French Architects RMDM have completed a cultural centre near Paris, clad with horizontal strips of poplar wood and ceramic tiles.
Called The Cultural Centre Association, the project comprises a library and multi-purpose hall linked by a shared lobby and courtyard garden.
Photographs are by Hervé Abbadie.
Here's some more information from the architects:
This building is composed of two entities linked by a common lobby: a library and a multi-center activities.
A diversity program served in the architectural design, and the game of the volumes, simple, readable, each incorporating a functional cluster, is differentiated by materials processing.
A project built around the reception spaces and movement which houses within it, a garden under control.
The garden itself can structure the space, like a cloister where the spaces and functions eventually meet.
The linear frontage device is important. Indeed in order to minimize the visual impact from surrounding houses, the project extends as much as possible.
A project carved by its program through which its volume is obviously becoming more complex in its division.
Developing its own identity, this project is inserted so subtle in its environment.
CULTURAL CENTER ASSOCIATION
Location: Place Victor Hugo, 91250 Saint Germain les Corbeil (near Paris)
Client : Communauté Agglomération Seine Essonne
Architect: RMDM architectes
Building Cost: 3 700 000 euros
Built: November 2009
BIOGRAPHY RMDM ARCHITECTES
In 2001; Philippe Maillols, Alexandre de Muizon and Eric Dolent created RMDM Architectes following the achievement of the EUROPAN 6 in Montbéliard. Since then, they were awarded at the Nouveaux Albums des Jeunes Architectes and their work has been the subject of an exhibition at the Pavillon Français at the International Biennale of Architecture in Venice in 2002, la Plateforme in 2007….etc
RMDM Architectes is currently working on various and very diverse projects such as social housing in Paris and in Rouen, public building, nursery etc… They also made some shops (Roger Vivier shop rue du faubourg St honoré in Paris, DIOR pure Poison event, etc..)
- Pond Meadows Special Needs School by DSD…HA
- Drew Mandel Architects designs Moore Par…k Residence "to echo the rhythm of its neighbours"
- Kalvebod Waves by JDS Architects and KLA…R Architects
- Parisian sports hall by Ateliers O-S Arc…hitectes with bands of light on its walls
- Malta's 20-storey outdoor lift was desig…ned to look "like an old building"
- Hospital by Lyons and Conrad Gargett fea…tures a vibrant facade and a tree-inspired layout
- Glass Loggia House by Allen Jack+Cottier…, Vladimir Sitta and Belinda Koopman
- 32 houses in Poitiers by Lanoire & Courr…ian
- Architects design cat shelters for anima…l charity fundraiser
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories