Dutch interior architects i29 have completed a home in Amsterdam featuring one interior wall covered in plants.
Called Home 06, the single-storey residence was designed for a Japanese client.
The bedroom and bathroom are combined inside a wood-clad box, separated from the planted wall by a staircase that leads to a roof garden.
The staircase and plants are lit from above by a skylight.
Another box within the larger interior contains the kitchen and storage cupboards.
More about i29 on Dezeen:
Here are some more details from the designers:
This residence at the Singel, Amsterdam (NL) exists from one open space where several functions have been put into freestanding objects. The kitchen and wardrobe are placed near the entrance and combined into one single volume.
The bath- and bedroom is hided into a volume which is placed at back of the house. From the open living area you look alongside the volume towards the vertical garden and the entrance stairs to the roof terrace.
The view on the green wall holds a promise in itself which will be redeemed once you enter the bed/bathroom.
The small measurements of this combined bed and bathroom are in contrast with its spacioucesness, while containing a private and personal feeling.
The panorama on the overgrown plantwall and the contrast with the minimalistic white bed/bathroom provides an intense experience. Integration of nature is an important aspect of traditional culture in Japan, the homeland of the client.
The integrated in-house vertical garden is an example of this. Other features where simplicity and minimalist details.
The project is nominated for the Bathroom design awards 2010.
Address: Singel, Amsterdam
m2: 140 m2
Photos: i29 l interior architects
Interior build: H2B interiors
Materials: aluminium, burl walnut wood, epoxy, glass, plantwall
Sanitary: Vola, Easydrain, HiMacs
- Neri&Hu's design for a Shanghai punch …bar references the city's old alleyways
- Las Chicas boutique by Guilherme de Va…sconcelos
- Renovation of the Rácz Thermal Bath b…y Budapesti Műhely
- Michele De Lucchi: Architekturchen at …Ingo Maurer
- David Chipperfield models Bally flagsh…ip store on 1920s Marcel Breuer interior
- Baukuh's House of Memory features a de…corative facade and a monumental yellow staircase
- David Kohn completes Sotheby's gallery… in London's Mayfair
- Lim Code by Isolation Unit
- U.S. vs THEM by Ben Turnbull
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories