Called House Szélpal, the two-storey building is located in Riedholz.
A band of windows wraps round the upper floor of the concrete residence.
The information below is from the architects:
The narrow form of the property together with its descending topography has amazing architectural consequences on the house itself.
The result is an elongated cube with two floors on the basis of an S-shape in section.
Because the plot is inclined lengthwise, the interior corresponds with the spaces outside on opposite ends of the building depending on the floor.
The entrance on the ground floor is on a level with the site to the east front, whereas the garden can be reached to the west from the terrace above.
A marvellous view on the entire alpine panorama can be caught on the upper floor, a quality which brings a hierarchy in between above and below.
Beside the entrance and the carport, the ground floor consists of other serving rooms like the office, the utility rooms and the cellar. All the main rooms for living are situated above, they are almost entirely oriented towards the view.
The monolithic concrete body has an elegant attitude, it appears clear and hard outside, while it is soft and warm inside.
By its internal insulation, the construction can be adapted to changing needs of the family in a simple and economical manner also later on.
The statics can easily be recognized outside, a long strip of a ribbon window relates the house to the panoramic view.
The building is inserted into the site without effecting much earthworks. Surrounding plants, flowers and trees create a powerful contrast between figure and nature.
Architects felber szélpal architekten ag, Solothurn
Location Riedholz, Switzerland
Project Type Single family house
Total Surface 400 m2
Interior Space 270 m2
Photographer Bruno Helbling, Zurich
Construction Company Galli AG, Surface and Civil Construction
Structural Engineer BSB+Partners, Engineers and Planners
Furniture Theo Jakob AG
- Office Building VDAB by BOB361
- Mountain View House nestles against a hi…llside in the Austrian Alps
- CUT Architectures adds golden walls to 1…960s community centre
- Villa at Sengokubara by Shigeru Ban
- MVRDV's Stedelijk Museum renovation make…s way for the historical details, says Nathalie de Vries
- Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health by Fran…k Gehry
- Beach and Howe St. by BIG
- Assorted windows and diagonal cladding f…eature on renovated home by NU Architectuuratelier
- "Today is much more an age of greed" - R…ichard Rogers
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories