Japanese studio FORM/Kouichi Kimura have completed a house in Shiga, Japan, modelled on traditional folk houses.
Called House of Integration, the two-storey residence is arranged around a lobby on the ground floor.
Bedrooms and bathrooms are connected to this space while a staircase leads to the first-floor living room, kitchen and dining room.
More about Kouichi Kimura on Dezeen:
Photographs are by Takumi Ota.
The text below is from Kouichi Kimura:
House of integration
This is the house for a young couple and their child.
The client had a longing for the traditional Japanese folk dwellings, and desired to take advantage of the surrounding bountiful idyll in the new house.
We planned in the center of the first floor a spacious foyer that functions as a semi-exterior area.
This space, which evokes relation between the DOMA (dirt floor) and ZA (habitable space floor) often seen in the old Japanese folk dwellings, is connected with the couple’s bedroom, child room, bathroom, and stairway to the second floor.
It plays a role as the core of the flow line inside the house, and can be used in a variety of ways in accordance with the client’s needs.
The living room, dining room, and kitchen are laid out on the second floor.
We designed so that the line of sight is led by colors and lights when you go upstairs, to the idyllic scenery that spreads outside the opening.
The house, though it may be compact, integrates diversified and productive spaces produced by various materials and colors, in its minimal volume that blends in with the idyll.
Architects: FORM/Kouichi Kimura Architects
Construction Year: 2010
Site Area: 166,21m2
Constructed Area: 116,06m2
- Greenhouse at Grüningen Botanical Garde…n by Buehrer Wuest Architekten
- Canadian Pavilion examines move "from ig…loos to internet" in Inuit communities
- Sugamo Shinkin Bank, Ekoda by Emmanuelle… Moureaux
- 8 Chifley by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Part…ners and Lippmann Partnership
- School building by Mitchell Taylor Works…hop contrasts pale stone with grey brick
- Consultorio en La Envía by Miguel Barah…ona and Luis Castillo
- Boxy viewing platform punctures a curved… facade at Moon Hoon's K-Pop Curve
- Ström Architects designs a country hous…e protruding over a wall
- Flotsam by Andreas Hoerl
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories