Here's an extension to a family home in rural Belgium by Brussels studio ADN Architectures.
Called House Satiya, the project features an inclined triangular skylight at one end of the pitched roof.
White-painted brickwork and a black tiled sloping roof were used to tie in with existing local buildings.
Photographs are by Filip Dujardin.
The following information is from the architects:
The client wished to transform and extend his house to be able to accommodate a large family.
The existing situation, a working house of the years '30 of 100 m ², consequently will become a resolutely contemporary house of 350 m ².
The first will is to include the extension in continuity with the neighbourhood (inclined roof, black tiles, white painted bricks, etc).
Secondly, the intention is to reflect on creative architecture, as well by its external/interior geometry, as by a more significant dimension (reflexion on textures of the external facing amongst other things).
The extension results in a principle of envelope recovering a volume in which the included spaces are conceived like functionalized boxes.
A play of full and vacuum is set up and expresses the will of close, direct, generous relations between the various levels.
The external openings meet the internal needs for the house, with the specific choices of sights on the external environment, like the run of the sun during the day.
The street front defines clearly the position of the entrance.
External and interior volume is a set of diagonals inducing a dynamics of space.
The choice of abstraction by the black & white is a desire to propose the conceptual aspect of the project while allowing architecture built to put itself “besides”, to allow the space to live as such.
Program: Extension of a small house
Location: Kraainem, Belgium
Principal architects: adn Architectures
Project team: David Henquinet, Nicolas Iacobellis, Didier Vander Heyden
Floor area: 350 m2
Start of planning: 2006
Photographs: Filip Dujardin
- Incremental Housing Strategy by Filipe B…alestra and Sara Göransson
- Foster & Partners in Moscow
- Andrés Jaque to create water-purifying …pipe network for MoMA PS1 Young Architects Program
- Playpen for dogs installed within Soichi… Yamasaki's S Residence
- Residential extension by Dubail Begert A…rchitectes
- FRAC Marseille by Kengo Kuma and Associa…tes
- Primary school by C+S Architects feature…s a colourful facade with contrasting window details
- Atomikarchitecture wins 21st Century Pie…r competition
- Britten-Pears Archive by Stanton William…s
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories