Here's an extension to a family home in rural Belgium by Brussels studio ADN Architectures.
Called House Satiya, the project features an inclined triangular skylight at one end of the pitched roof.
White-painted brickwork and a black tiled sloping roof were used to tie in with existing local buildings.
Photographs are by Filip Dujardin.
The following information is from the architects:
The client wished to transform and extend his house to be able to accommodate a large family.
The existing situation, a working house of the years '30 of 100 m ², consequently will become a resolutely contemporary house of 350 m ².
The first will is to include the extension in continuity with the neighbourhood (inclined roof, black tiles, white painted bricks, etc).
Secondly, the intention is to reflect on creative architecture, as well by its external/interior geometry, as by a more significant dimension (reflexion on textures of the external facing amongst other things).
The extension results in a principle of envelope recovering a volume in which the included spaces are conceived like functionalized boxes.
A play of full and vacuum is set up and expresses the will of close, direct, generous relations between the various levels.
The external openings meet the internal needs for the house, with the specific choices of sights on the external environment, like the run of the sun during the day.
The street front defines clearly the position of the entrance.
External and interior volume is a set of diagonals inducing a dynamics of space.
The choice of abstraction by the black & white is a desire to propose the conceptual aspect of the project while allowing architecture built to put itself “besides”, to allow the space to live as such.
Program: Extension of a small house
Location: Kraainem, Belgium
Principal architects: adn Architectures
Project team: David Henquinet, Nicolas Iacobellis, Didier Vander Heyden
Floor area: 350 m2
Start of planning: 2006
Photographs: Filip Dujardin
- TAKA completes brick and concrete pavili…on for a Dublin cricket club
- Fujitsubo by Archivision Hirotani Studio
- Campus for Central Saint Martins by Stan…ton Williams
- National Art Museum of China competition… entry by Gehry Partners
- Roxbury E+ townhouses in Boston designed… to produce more energy than they use
- Alésia Museum visitor’s centreby Bern…ard Tschumi Architects
- Cafeteria with exposed timber framework …by Niji Architects
- Packed by Min‐Chieh Chen, Dominik Zaus…inger and Michele Leidi
- Concrete education centre by Petr Hájek… is sunken into a park landscape
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories