Milan 2010: Gothenburg designers Johannes Tjernberg & Rasmus Malbert present objects inspired by a 1936 Charlie Chaplin film as part of the SaloneSatellite at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile this week.
Called Modern Times, the collection includes an mp3 dock with brass crank handle and organ pipes, as well as a paraffin lamp.
See all our stories about Milan 2010 in our special category.
The information below is from the designers:
The two Swedish, Gothenburg-based designers Johannes Tjernberg and Rasmus Malbert have now finished the project “Modern Times” that will be displayed in Salone Satellite during the design week in Milan 2010.
The project was inspired by the 1936 Charlie Chaplin film “Modern Times” in which Chaplinʼs character struggles with the pace within the factory.
The project consists of three objects: “Ash” - a paraffin lamp, “Instant” - a series of table clocks, and “Pulse” - a docking station for mp3-players, which is the main piece.
The heat and fire in the factory are represented by “Ash”, the constantly present time is represented by “Instant” and the heart and the rhythm of the factory are represented by “Pulse”.
We regard the music player as the centerpiece of the room. As the traditional street-organ player was the master of the public square, “Pulse” masters the room and encourages friends to gather around.
The glossy black structure is partially covered in tiles and we have borrowed the classical crank for volume control. The crank and the organ pipes are made of polished brass. The architectural body rests on a mirror laminate as if floating on the surface of a quiet lake.
The entire piece is supported by a single leg which is sculpted with notions of playful music from a street organ.
- Quand Jim se Relaxe by Matali Crasset
- Snag by Patrick Frey and Markus Boge
- Verner Panton influences colour palett…e for Sibling's Autumn Winter 2015 collection
- Interview: Strida bike designer Mark S…anders
- Interview: a Flip Flop Story by Dieder…ik Schneemann
- Neri Oxman 3D prints "photosynthetic w…earable" to host living organisms
- Shai Langen covers bodies in liquid la…tex fabrics and fermented dough
- Pablo Bronstein honours Nicholas Hawks…moor with lighthouse/beach hut hybrid in Folkestone
- Sitting on Holly Bradshaw-Clegg's Pasc…al Stool switches on the light above
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories