Czech studio H3T architects have hung a sauna beneath a bridge over the river Elbe.
Called Flying Sauna, the temporary wooden structure must be reached by boat.
The bridge used to form part of a weir, now dismantled and laid on the river bed.
Here are some more details from the designers:
We have created an opportunity. A cube where anyone can enjoy sauna is hanging above the river.
Any way of bringing attention to the original structure of the weir is positive.
The nature of our project made us use cheap materials (partly recycled) and simple structural design.
The construction didn't take longer than a week. Its lifetime in this location will probably not exceed two weeks.
Operating instructions: bring some firewood or you can collect it in adjacent forests. It is necessary to be equipped with a boat. Be careful when entering and exiting sauna. The stream under the sauna is strong. You can use one of the pillars as a rest place. Enjoy!
The construction of the weir with overhead bridge began simultaneously with the construction of Mělník weir but it was finished one year later.
It consists of two zones: the wider was dammed with a slide gate with tilting frames of the Schwarzer's system; the narrower was dammed with a slide gate suspended on the lift bridge of the Liebisch system. Moving parts of the weir were manufactured by Breitfeld, Daněk & Co. In literature Pavel Janák is stated to be the author.
The weir was put out of operation in 1972-1974 during the renovation of Labe waterway. It was replaced with a drum weir further down the river. Schwarzer's frames were tilted to the river bed and they remain there up to the present; the suspended slide gate was lifted. In this state it has been declared a cultural monument.
|Selective Insulation by Davidson Rafailidis||Paddling Home by
- More images of Gehry's Abu Dhabi Guggenh…eim
- OFIS Arhitekti creates grid of crosses o…n the facade of Villa Criss-Cross Envelope
- Malta's 20-storey outdoor lift was desig…ned to look "like an old building"
- Archway Studios by Undercurrent Architec…ts
- House in Possanco by ARX Portugal and St…efano Riva
- Greenhouse at Grüningen Botanical Garde…n by Buehrer Wuest Architekten
- Story Tower by RTU International Archite…cture Summer School
- Palacio de Lecumberri by Rojkind Arquite…ctos
- Three houses in Meco by DNSJ.arq
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories